CD ROM and DVD RW drives not working

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by stratmatt, May 1, 2011.

1. stratmatt

stratmatt Private E-2

Hello again team!

I am having issues with my CD ROM and DVD/CD RW drive. Neither will read a CD. They used to work in the past. This is what I believe triggered this issue and the one at the end of this message. I was cleaning my hard drive of what I thought were files I did not need and think I blew the drivers away for my CD drives (and my sound too). There is a yellow exclamation mark in the hardware tab in My Computer Device manager when I check the CD drives. This is the message I get when I double click on both drives:

Windows cannot start this hardware device because its configuration information (in the registry) is incomplete or damaged. (Code 19)

I tried uninstalling and updating the drivers and neither worked. The drive lights do light up when I load a CD and it does sound like it is trying to read the CD. And they do appear in the device manager tab so I am hoping it is just the drivers.

I have a Dell Dimension 2400 service tag 3P2D941
    XP Home Edition Service Pack 2 (build 2600)

This is the info on these drives from BELARC
    HL-DT-ST-DVD-RAM GH22LP20 (Optical drive)
    SAMSUNG CD-ROM SC148-A (OPTICAL DRIVE)

Here is the link to the problem that majhorgeeks HAD helped me with initially that I am thinking was caused by the same problem. The root cause it appears for this issue was that I had cleaned up my hard drive then started having problems getting my sound working. I blew the drivers out was the root cause. I hope this helps.

http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=233503

Thanks!!!

Matt

2. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Did you try this?
    Source: http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=145532

3. Caliban

Caliban I don't need no steenkin' title!

Greetings, stratmatt.

The filter cleaning can actually be more easily (and safely) accomplished by running this Microsoft fix it.

While we research your drive, another thing you might try is completely uninstalling the drive via Device Manager and rebooting. Windows should then recognize the 'new' hardware and load its own generic drivers.

4. stratmatt

stratmatt Private E-2

OK I tried running the Microsoft link you sent Caliban and it is still running 15 minutes later. I cannot seem to kill it. When I go back to try restarting it it says that another instance is already running, try back later when it is done.

THIS CANNOT BE SO DIFFICULT can it?

I had already tried uninstalling the drives and I restarted the PC thinking that it would see the "new" hardware and load some compatible drivers. But it did not load the drivers, the same error appreared (yellow exclamation mark) in device manager.

Matt

5. stratmatt

stratmatt Private E-2

OK sorry for the impatience!

I ended up shutting down (hard shutdown) and killed all the programs running

rebooted and re ran the Fix It progam and voila!
    My drives now work.

Thanks!!!

Matt

6. Caliban

Caliban I don't need no steenkin' title!

Good job, Matt. Glad you got it sorted, and thanks for the feedback. :major

7. kdebower

kdebower Private E-2

Had this problem with older Dell Computer. Microsoft Fixit didn't work but Calibans regedit did.

Much obliged Caliban, and all other posters.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds