CD ROM and grinding noise when cd spins down

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Ecin, Dec 13, 2006.

1. Ecin

Ecin Private First Class

Well the thread says it all. I have a DELL PC a year or 2 old, and the CD ROM is starting to make this grinding like noise, for a split second only, when a CD spins down in the drive.

Does this mean the CD ROM drive is about to go? How much longer do you think it will live?

Should I start using the DVD drive to play CDs and games? Will this hurt the DVD drive?

Well that about wraps it up I think.

2. padams

padams First Sergeant

take the cd rom drive out of the pc and shake it. If you hear anything bouncing around inside then something might possibly be broken. As for your dvd drive, no playing cds and games won't hurt it. In fact I would recommend using it. Besides you can get a new dvd burner for like thirty bucks now so if it does break, who cares, they're cheap!

3. Ecin

Ecin Private First Class

alright, thanks. I haven't even opened this case one time since I bought the computer. I am a bit wary about opening it up and disconnecting anything for the first time. The PC is running great, and I don't want to break something.

Heck I think it's still under warranty. Will they replace it if I call them and say the drive is making a grinding noise?

4. padams

padams First Sergeant

I don't see why they wouldn't. Just to make sure though tell them that you put a cd in it and when you tried to play the cd it started grinding and broke the disk. I'm pretty sure even if they don't cover the cdrom drive they will after that. Just make sure the pc is off and that you touch the side of the case to make sure that you're grounded before you start ripping into it. Don't want to replace any more than you have to.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds