cd rom drive problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by cj08, Nov 4, 2006.

1. cj08

cj08 Private E-2

I have a dell computer with a cd rom drive. The drive is having trouble playing discs. I often have to take the discs out and wipe them off 2 or 3 times before they will run, even brand new ones. Anyone know what I could do to make it play correctly the first time?:rolleyes:

Thanks

2. Jazagod

Jazagod Command Sergeant Major

how is you cable running to your cd drive?
    as silly as it sounds , it can make a difference

3. cj08

cj08 Private E-2

All cables are hooked up correctly.

My hard drive gets pretty dusty inside, so I took the cover off and cleaned out the dust. I was hoping that would cure it but it didn't. Now I'm looking through some troubleshooting guides that came with my pc trying to find a possible cause.

4. Jazagod

suppose it could be a dirty lens, tried a cleaner?

5. cj08

cj08 Private E-2

Yeah, I'm thinking it might be a dirty lense. Could you give me some tips on how to clean the lense? Do you need a special cleaner or is there some type of household cleaner I could use?

I was always told not to ever touch the lense because the slightest scratch will render it useless.

Thanks

6. Jazagod

I don't know, last time I did that was to a Play Station two...I used my shirt, worked fine.. disregard that though!
    Apparently there are discs with little hair too. stick em in and whoosh viola!
    but whatever :D

7. BirdBath

BirdBath Sergeant Major

You can use a Q-Tip and some Alcohol

8. cj08

cj08 Private E-2

Q-tip and alcohol did the trick.

Thanks guys!

9. Jazagod

Sweet!

10. BirdBath

BirdBath Sergeant Major

Alcohol.

The answer to all of lifes problems. :)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds