CD-ROM driver not "working properly"

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by NovusOrdo, Jan 16, 2005.

1. NovusOrdo

NovusOrdo Private E-2

Hey all,

I've got this really frustrating problem with my CD-ROM driver/burner. First of all, I don't know when this problem really began, but I noticed it only recently (a few days, at least). The problem goes like this: When I put in a CD-R to burn something off of Media Player, it tells me that no burner could be detected. That's never happened before. Then, when I put in a CD-R with some tracks already on it, it has trouble playing it. It keeps ejecting the CD-R until it finally plays it, but even then, it plays it really choppy, as if the CD-R is scratched, but it's in great shape! Then, I put in an audio CD that wasn't burned (a real one, you could say), and it just keeps ejecting it! Won't even read it! AHHH! What is wrong with my CD-ROM driver/burner?? This is such a terrible problem that I can't find any solution for so far! In fact, the computer keeps telling me that it's running properly! Does anyone know anything I could do?
    Thanks in advance.

2. mcadam

mcadam Major Amnesia

Is it your only drive on the secondary IDE cable or do you have another?
    Also, check to make sure it's correctly installed, can get good drivers at www.driverguide.com (have to subscribe but its free).
    Also, you mentioned media problems, so can you try burning a disc with data, such as work and then see if the cd r drive reads those files ok?
    If it's just media, then there may be a problem with your soundcard possibly, or media player not installed correctly.
    One last thing, is the cable from your cd drive to the soundcard securely fixed and in the correct sockets?

3. Phatsta

Phatsta Corporal

Again, mcadam, ---> there are no drivers needed for IDE devices <--- except the ASPI drivers for burning, but that's only when burning, nowhere else, not ever. An example of this can be found when installing an old version of CDRWIN (3.x) which doesn't have aspi drivers included. What happens if you don't have those drivers is that you'll get an error message upon opening cdrwin, saying there is no aspi supported drive installed on the system.

But for playback/reading there are absolutely no drivers needed ever.

NovusOrdo: Depending on when this problem appeared it might be a master/slave setting (jumpers on the backside of the IDE devices), or if it appeared out of nowhere just recently and you haven't made any other changes to the system; a faulty drive. There are countless cases where burners go bad. It's happened to me and to lots of others as well. Simply borrow another drive or buy a new one.

4. mcadam

mcadam Major Amnesia

Argh!!!! Why did i have to install drivers for my dvd burner, and cd rom drives??????? Also, this can be a problem with burners.

5. Phatsta

Phatsta Corporal

I'd love to see those drivers. It's not to be an ass I'm saying this, it's just that it's wrong, sorry but it is.

6. NovusOrdo

NovusOrdo Private E-2

Hey all,

Thanks for the responses but I still can't figure out what to do. The company site (Compaq, yes, I know, horrible computers) doesn't help because it's steps for reinstalling the driver don't apply to me (mainly because I don't have any of the options that they suggest!) Secondly, when I go to "Undo Harmful changes..." in the "Help and Support" directory in the Start menu, it doesn't list the CD-RW driver as a driver to reinstall! It only lists the keyboard! However, one thing has been resolved. Playback of a CD-R (with tracks on it already) and a CD made by the music industry works again (it only took a restart to fix that!). However, Windows Media Player is the only program that doesn't recongize the burner driver, which makes me think if it's a problem with the Media Player. Yet, I haven't updated it or done anything to it to change it in the past few weeks or so. It's been the same before this stuff started to happen. Is there anything I can do without having to actually buy another burner???? I can't afford it right now, I already bought an external hard drive and that took me back a few hundred bucks. If there's anything at all possible, please, don't hesitate to say it all. Anything would be welcomed at this point!
    Thanks again

7. NovusOrdo

NovusOrdo Private E-2

Hey all,

Correction: I'm not so sure if it's just Windows Media Player that can't read the burner (I'm not at home right now). So I still have yet to see if it's just that program...

8. mcadam

mcadam Major Amnesia

They came on a disc with my Liteon dvd burner.

9. kcl

kcl Private E-2

Drivers are NOT required for Windows XP/ 2000. I think you will find the drivers are for Windows 98/ME.

I have experienced similar problems to those u describe and the solution I found was to remove any packet writing software ( especially if it loads at startup ).

further insure that you are using a UDMA mode if possible in the IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers section of Device manager, found under the advance tab of the IDE channel the CD is connected to.

Good Luck
    KCL

10. NovusOrdo

NovusOrdo Private E-2

Hey all,

Thanks for the advice! Now, I checked the Device Manager and IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers section doesn't give me the option of UDMA mode. Would it be possible for me to download this? And also, how would I be able to find out if the writing software you talked about does exist on my computer? Thanks again, though, I thought this thread was doomed to die off and I would never figure out what to do.

11. NovusOrdo

NovusOrdo Private E-2

woops! I'm an idiot...
    All right, I figured out that UDMA mode was Ultra MDA mode under the Primary IDE Channel, however, I can't change it for both the Secondary channel and the Bus Master Controller. How would I be able to set them at UDMA mode? The Secondary Channel is under PIO Mode. And also, I still can't find the writing software (if that sounds dumb, then I apologize, I'm an average PC user, I don't know as much as I would like to).

12. Phatsta

Phatsta Corporal

Not even required for Win 98/ME. Not even 95. I don't belive win 3.11. As far as I can remember it has never been needed.

Are you sure it's not the aspi drivers I've been talking about?

13. kcl

kcl Private E-2

Win3.1, win98, winme DO require drivers for CD rom devices. They are loaded in the config.sys / autoexec.bat.

14. General Disarray

General Disarray Private E-2

Win 3.1 did require drivers. Win 95/98/ME did not even though sometimes you saw them in the config.sys files. Those drivers were for old DOS legacy programs. Usually they were REM'ed out though due to conflicts with the DOS drivers fighting with the Windows 32 bit drivers.

15. mcadam

mcadam Major Amnesia

Really don't know why but xp left yellow question mark in device manager, once i used the liteon disc all was fine - bizarre I know, but yes i agree entirely that you shouldn't need drivers for thie type of hardware.
    As for ME/98, you shouldn't require drivers, but as mentioned they would show up in config.sys files.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds