CDR Capabilities are gone

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by matt46_2, May 27, 2006.

1. matt46_2

matt46_2 Private E-2

After I finished cleaning my hard drive the other day, I went to burn a cd, and couldn't, the program I use is not detecting my drive as a compatible cdr drive, I'm not sure why or if it was something I might've done, but I'm really not all that good with computers, so I'm unsure if it was me, or if this computer's just messed up, any help would be appreciated, thank you.

2. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

More info, please ....cleaning your harddrive (what did you do?)
    What program are you using to burn with?
    Does it show up in my computer ...does is show up in device manager without and exclamation/yellow warnings?:confused: :confused:

3. Insomniac

Insomniac Billy Ray Cyrus #1 Fan

And what operating system is it?

If it's XP, there are Registry hacks that may help.

4. matt46_2

matt46_2 Private E-2

It's XP SP2, I was deleting some programs that I don't use w/ add/remove programs, I also went to the microsoft component management tools and removed some components I thought un-needed.

I just looked in My Computer and it doesn't look like either of my drives are showing, the ones showing are C:, D: (recovery) and removable disk drives g-j, those by the way, were on the PC when it was purchased, and seem to be completely useless, I have no idea how to remove them, and would like to, so if anyone knows anything on that, please do tell.

I just looked at the device manager, and yes, under cd/dvd drives, both of my drives are listed with explanation points by them. I will run through the troubleshooting option and provide any updates, I apologize for the lack of information, and the help if very much appreciated, thanks

Also, my PC has been running very poorly since it was sent to HP for a new DVD drive, I've run all spyware and virus programs, and nothing has been found, I'm not getting pop-ups or anything of the sort, but most programs are just very slow to load and peridically freeze often, could HP have done something to cause this? Thanks again.

5. Insomniac

See if the Registry hack listed HERE helps.

*When working in the Registry, take the necessary precautions like backing up and/or creating a Restore Point.

6. matt46_2

matt46_2 Private E-2

Looks like that worked, thanks a bunch

7. Insomniac

You're welcome a bunch, thanks for the reply. :)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds