cdrom wont work(error 39)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by JenniJean, Apr 14, 2006.

1. JenniJean

JenniJean Private E-2

My cdrom drive will not work. The light comes on and all but doesnt read anything. When I click on the drive in My Computer all my folders come up..My device manager gives me this..Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing. (Code 39)
    I hope I gave enough information. Please help me.

Field Value
    Device Properties
    Driver Description HL-DT-ST CD-RW GCE-8160B
    Driver Date 7/1/2001
    Driver Version 5.1.2535.0
    Driver Provider Microsoft
    INF File cdrom.inf
    Hardware ID IDE\CdRomHL-DT-ST_CD-RW_GCE-8160B________________2.01____
    Location Information 0

2. Coco

Coco Sergeant Major

You could try simply uninstalling it competly (as in delete it from device manager) and then reset and see if it will be detected properly. Although it's most likely just a broken drive. CDROM's break quite commonly so you'll most likely have to buy a new one. On the bright side they are really cheap. A plain CDROM is only about 10$ and a dual layer DVD burner is about 30$.

Of course try reinstalling it first, and also check all the cables.

3. zephra

zephra Private First Class

It is always best to have a spare cd-rom to test with.I would try another cd-rom first.I have a aggressive method but it could do more harm them good.

4. Hipster Doofus

Hipster Doofus MajorGeek

Have you uninstalled Easy CD Creater ? If so that's the problem.

"1. Start Registry Editor (Regedt32.exe).

2. Locate the UpperFilters value under the following key in the registry:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
    3. On the Edit menu, click Delete, and then click OK.

4. Locate the LowerFilters value under the same key in the registry:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

5. On the Edit menu, click Delete, and then click OK.

6. Quit Registry Editor.

NOTE: After you remove the Upperfilters value and the Lowerfilters value, if you notice lost functionality in a particular program, such as CD recording software, you may need to reinstall that software. If the problem recurs, consult with the software vendor for assistance.

7. Restart your computer.

5. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Perfectly said Hipster.

;)

6. AbbySue

AbbySue MajorGeeks Administrator

Did you bother to look into or think through your answer before you responded? Obviously not. Simply suggesting the users drive was shot without looking into what the cause of the specific error was by doing something as simple as a google search is unacceptable. Google of error code, 3rd link gives solution.

Same goes with your replies in this thread where you not only gave bad information that resulted in data loss for the user, but you argued the issue with a moderator. And then to top it off, you don't even have the decency to go back in the thread and offer so much as an apology to the user!

You are walking a very thin line with your replies of late. Consider yourself warned.

7. Coco

Coco Sergeant Major

I think it's worth noting that I did suggest something to fix it here. Maybe I did jump the gun a little by saying it was broken. Which tends to just fall with the way IT support is general done on CDROMs since they are so cheap most people don't spend more then a few mins trying to fix them. Of course I'm looking at this in as a company would rather then an individual, obviously some people would spend more time on this then companies would. So for that I do believe I owe an apology.

As for the other thread, I'm sorry, I'd actually lost track of that one. I'll read through it and give it a reply, although I didn't argue with the moderator at all in it. I asked him why he said something, and explained why I thought it would be fine. Then he explained why he said it and I never argue the point beyond that.

8. JenniJean

JenniJean Private E-2

Thank you so much Hipster! I went out and bought a new cdrom thinking my old one was finished, if I had only read my post sooner. But Thank you very much. Everything is working great.

9. Hipster Doofus

Hipster Doofus MajorGeek

So now you have two roms. All bases covered now. :D

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds