Certain websites in IE6 do not display correctly

Discussion in 'Software' started by johnsonsmith, May 17, 2005.

1. johnsonsmith

johnsonsmith Private E-2

IE6 has suddenly stopped displaying some websites incorrectly. I have no spyware, virus, bugs, etc and I am up to date on Norton 2005 antivirus. I reinstalled Sun Java as well. Examples site are included below, www.msn.com and www.cnet.com. On MSN, certain ad boxes, which contain reference links to other websites for the appropriate GIF picture, give this error message instead:

"Action canceled
    Internet Explorer was unable to link to the Web page you requested. The page might be temporarily unavailable.

Please try the following:

Click the Refresh button, or try again later.

If you have visited this page previously and you want to view what has been stored on your computer, click File, and then click Work Offline..."

Other websites, such as CNET, will not display correctly at all. Source code indicates the site is in javascript, which as I stated, is up to date on my computer.

Other websites display correctly as scripted. Could it be Norton Antivirus Script Blocking software is affecting some sites and not others?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

2. Matacumbie

Matacumbie Rocky Top

Could be, disable it and try the sites your having problems with. Also, do you have any ad or popup blockers installed.

Steve

3. johnsonsmith

johnsonsmith Private E-2

I have no pop-up blockers installed. Disabling Norton antivirus has no effect (good or bad), and attempting to END PROCESS in task manager for Norton Script Blocker is unsucessful, as the program is immediately restarted.

My IE6 problem began without any prior internet event occuring, although if I remember correctly, it may have been after updating Norton.

On a side note, my notebook computer, accessing the internet through a wireless card, does display all webpages correctly. The only real difference between my desktop and notebook is that the notebook is running an up-to-date Norton 2004 antivirus as opposed to 2005 on the desktop.

Also, adding the affected websites to the TRUSTED ZONES in my security settings has no effect either.

4. Matacumbie

Matacumbie Rocky Top

When you refer to "updating Norton" are you talking about downloading updates for NAV 2005 or do you mean it started happening after you upgraded from NAV 2004 to NAV 2005?

Steve

5. johnsonsmith

johnsonsmith Private E-2

I mean after I downloaded updates for Norton 2005.

I wonder if it's possible that Spybot Search and Destroy's Immunization is somehow affecting the webpages?

6. Matacumbie

Matacumbie Rocky Top

1. Do a search for file(s) name HOSTS, should be in C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc

2. Rename all files that are called HOSTS (they maybe in capital or lower case letters) rename them to HOSTS.old.

3. Restart the computer and try the websites now.

Steve

7. johnsonsmith

johnsonsmith Private E-2

Steve - nice save man! Didn't even have to reboot after the rename. Worked like a charm. Like to know how you figured that one out...

Thanks again.

8. Matacumbie

Matacumbie Rocky Top

Just a guess. The screenshots and "Action canceled" helped alot. ;)

Glad you got it going my friend.

Steve

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds