Certificates expired

Discussion in 'Software' started by Skysarge, Aug 27, 2012.

1. Skysarge

Skysarge First Sergeant

I am getting a message on almost every web site I visit about security(?) certificates being expired.
    In some cases I cannot log onto a site, sometimes I cannot go past the "home" page.
    I have not changed any security settings.
    Any ideas as to wassup?

Sarge

2. solaris89

solaris89 First Sergeant

A very common fix for this is to make sure your computer's date and time are accurate.

3. cipher

cipher Major Geek Extraordinaire

Check the date your computer is set to...

4. Skysarge

Skysarge First Sergeant

That was way off. How I don't know.
    Guess this worked, no messages popping up.
    Thanks
    Sarge

A sign of a good NCO is getting half of his 5 men to follow him.

5. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Keep your eye on the date and time. If it is wrong when you turn the computer on, it is a sign that your CMOS (usually a coin type battery) needs to be replaced.
    A work around, particularly if it is a laptop and you don't want to tear it apart, os to keep it plugged in all the time so it doesn't depend on the battery (CMOS not laptop battery).

6. Skysarge

Skysarge First Sergeant

Plodr,
    I think you answered my question as to why the time/date went out of sync.
    While I was resetting those I came across some type of notice or warning the CMOS battery is low.
    Assuming that is a simple unplug old - plug in new on my desktop, I'll trot over to Radio Shack or Frys electronics and get a fresh one. I am no electronic whiz or computer nerd, but I can probably handle that without too much trouble.

Sarge

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds