cfgmgr32.dll Missing and Disabling Use of Computer

Discussion in 'Software' started by Tii, Oct 31, 2012.

1. Tii

Tii Private E-2

Hi all,
    After fixing my computer after a virus attack I came across a service pack 1 update that has never worked, and so I rejected the update; I figured I would try to manually download it later. I had also started using a program that had updated my drivers since I figured that this would make the update work. Somehow sp1 had installed, and after shutting down my comp, it went to configure the update. It stopped updating at 70%-- as it always had-- and so I rebooted the comp and restored my system to an earlier point, a point right before I had installed the driver updater. After the restore was "successful," I tried to log into my account, but it said that cfgmgr32.dll was missing, and so my desktop would not load. I've tried system repair, memory check, and restoring the system to another restore point, but to no avail. I also cannot sfc /scannow since cmd would state that a reboot is required to finish repairing the comp, although there was no repair.
    Can I fix/re-download this .dll? I figure that the program "updated" my drivers by replacing them, and so when I system restored before the program was installed, they disappeared, although I'm not sure of this. Help would be appreciated.

2. Tii

Tii Private E-2

If I recall, the program wa scalled SecuniaPSI.

3. pwillener

pwillener MajorGeek

What is your Windows version?

Can you boot into Safe Mode?

Secunia PSI does not "update" or "replace" anything; it merely checks for outdated programs.

4. Tii

Tii Private E-2

Windows 7 x64.
    And safe mode gives me the same non-loading problem, although safe mode with cmd prompt does give me cmd, despite sfc /scannow not working.

5. Tii

Tii Private E-2

Now after trying my earliest restore point, system restore states that it did not complete successfully. I've tried so many things to allow sfc scannow to work, but all to no avail.

6. sach2

sach2 Major Geek Extraordinaire

I'm not sure why the first system restore didn't work.

Have you run a chkdsk on the windows partition? If not then try that from command prompt and see if it finds any errors in the file system. It should be chkdsk c: /r at the command prompt.

Then when it is complete try to boot normally and if no good then try Last Known Good Configuration from the Safe Mode options to see if it helps at all.

7. Tii

Tii Private E-2

I've tried both before, and nothing seemed to happen.
    Now here's the weird thing... my computer seems to be working again.
    After trying the earliest system restore point-- which ultimately did not change anything, I, for some reason, scanned my memory for any errors through the system recovery options. I've tried this before, but to no avail. While scanning, I leave my computer to attend to something else, and when I come back... my computer works! It says that the update was successful..
    I don't know what happened, but it was most likely something related to Windows Update service pack 1.
    So now, I want to redownload that service pack, but manually, which I heard solves the "failure to configure update" problem. Which of these should I download?
    http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=5842

8. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

One of the last two download links.

9. Tii

Tii Private E-2

Alright, I will dl the update at the end of the week and report back on the success of it.

10. Tii

Tii Private E-2

By the way, what do you mean by saving it to a unique folder in the drive/partition?

11. Tii

Tii Private E-2

I'd like to bump this thread up again since I have run into the same exact problem. At the moment, I am trying to see if I can get my desktop to function again. But I am concerned about downloading service pack 1. How can I properly download it? It seems that getting it through windows update does not work. How can I get it to function properly? Can I download it in pieces, or only the necessary parts of it?

Also, just in case I cannot get the comp to work again, how can I sfc /scannow if "there's a system repair pending" that will not allow me to do so in recovery mode?

12. pwillener

pwillener MajorGeek

13. Tii

Tii Private E-2

Alright, I'll do that once my computer gets restored.
    But why is the site download better than the windows update one? If I recall, the site download even mentions that the windows update one is better for single computers.

14. plodr

Don't believe everything you read on MS pages.

Because you can grab an ISO. That means you can burn it to a CD or DVD and if any computer needs Win 7 SP1, you have it and don't need to waste time downloading it again.

15. Tii

Tii Private E-2

Hm, I can see the use of that.
    But why the larger and manual download file, aside from the ISO part?
    Is the file inherently more stable? are there parts in it that would allow a successful installation, as compared to the Windows Update one?

16. plodr

This DVD image contains standalone update for all architectures. That means 32 bit and 64 bit.

17. Tii

Tii Private E-2

Alright, so I've downloaded it. What next?
    An earlier post of yours mentioned to save it to a unique drive/partition. What does that mean?

18. plodr

If you downloaded the iso you have to burn it to a DVD.
    Does your computer have a DVD burner?

19. Tii

Tii Private E-2

Yes, I have Roxio Burn.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds