Challenge:Wifi Detected but won't connect+Won't connect w/Ethernet cord?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by bluevoodoo11, May 25, 2013.

1. bluevoodoo11

bluevoodoo11 Private E-2

First please accept my apologies for not posting in the correct category, if this is not a hardware issue. I feel I have eliminated all issues thus leading me to think it's a malfunctioning WLAN card or a driver issue. Here is the scenario:

* Last used Wifi 48 hrs ago, worked fine
    * Today laptop detects wifi, but shows "connected with limited access" and doesn't connect.
    * It is showing an IP address
    * Tried Ethernet cord direct to wall and to back of router, did NOT work either.
    * Other laptop in my household detects wifi and connects just fine.
    * Restored to previous point 48 hrs ago - NOT SOLVED
    * Uninstalled and reinstalled Wireless WLAN Card - NOT SOLVED
    * Ran all Microsoft Diagnostic Tests including getting new IP settings for network adapter- NOT SOLVED
    *Confirmed IPv6 is checked to auto obtain IP address for WiFi, as well as, the same for Hardwire Connection.
    * Uninstalled all Firewalls, Antivirus programs - NOT SOLVED
    * Toggled back and forth the wifi switch and the light is not coming on.

Computer: Dell Inspiron 1420
    Dell Wireless 1395 WLAN Mini Card
    Router: Netgear Rangemax N150

Please note I am not computer literate but doing my very best to give as much info as possible so I don't annoy anyone (experts) with stupid questions, which I assume gets tiring after a while. Thank you in advance for any help. This is my last go since I have already ran this by 2 people who normally fix my computer..both were at a loss.

2. gman863

gman863 MajorGeek

Welcome to Major Geeks.

Based on your statements that this is a very recent problem and that neither wired or Wi-Fi connections allow you to connect to the Internet, my suspicion is you have been infected with either a virus or malware.

Over the past few weeks, have you or anyone else downloaded and installed anything off the Internet or an unknown disc or flash drive? If you're not sure, go to CONTROL PANEL > PROGRAMS AND FEATURES and sort by date. Make note of anything installed in the past few weeks.

Also download Malware Bytes and the latest Malware Bytes definitions update in the Downloads section onto a USB drive. Boot the Dell into Safe Mode (F8 at the BIOS screen) then install and run Malware Bytes from the USB drive.

Post again in the Malware Removal forum with the results from both what (if anything) was recently installed plus the results of the Malware Bytes scan. The Malware Removal experts should be able to help you solve the problem.

Hope this helps. :)

3. holiday

holiday Private E-2

Whoops, bad post.

4. falconattack

falconattack Command Sergeant Major

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds