Change CMOS battery in a Winbook

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by bbpathd1, Oct 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bbpathd1

bbpathd1 Private First Class

When I last turned on my Winbook V-series notebook, I got a message that CMOS battery was low. Today I got the same message, pressed F1 to proceed and got a message that CMOS settings were wrong and I pressed F2 to load default settings.

I assume my CMOS battery is dying or dead now. Does anyone know where I open the laptop to find the battery and do a replacement?

Also, if the battery goes entirely dead, will I lose my settings in BIOS?

Anything else I need to know about the CMOS batteries? Hard to believe, but in all these years of computers I have never had to replace one before!

2. Burrell

Burrell MajorGeek

Not sure about where to find it.

Yes, it will mean you lose all BIOS settings, you can easily configure them again when you get a new battery though! ;)

If they are similar to desktops, then it's simply take the old one out and pop the new one in.

3. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

First, write down all the setting you currently see in the BIOS, just in case the battery goes completely dead/flat. Unfortunately, you can not print out the BIOS screens. You may be very happy you have this information if the CMOS battery goes.
    Second, keep the laptop plugged in as much as possible; this will save the laptop from running off the CMOS battery and can prolong the inevitable a bit.

I'm off to search for a Winbook schematic to see how you'd take it apart to change the battery.

I downloaded a schematic from here
    http://www.eserviceinfo.com/fulltext.php?search_ft=sa-ak17
    but it dealt with wiring; not helpful for your purposes.
    I found a manual here http://www.retrevo.com/samples/Winbook-Laptop-manuals.html
    but not knowing the number behind the V, I did not download anything.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2010
  4. bbpathd1

bbpathd1 Private First Class

Plodr, thanks for your help. I remember writing down BIOS settings for some of my older computers, but I don't think I did so when I got this one.

My laptop is a V410 model and I found a manual at www.winbookcorp.com. Unfortunately no schematics or anything to indicate where the CMOS battery is.

I wish all the computer manufacturers would be just a little more generous with their documentation. Well, there are just so many screws on the back--maybe I'll get lucky and undo the right panel.

5. plodr

It might not even be a bottom panel. To update the RAM on an old Micron laptop, I had to fold back the keyboard and remove a metal heat sink plate to get to the RAM slots. The manufacturers would rather everyone buy a new computer every few years, hence the unwillingness to help you, the customer, fix things!
    Good luck.

6. alejack

alejack Private E-2

I have Winbook Si that requires a CMOS battery replacement. I have reviewed the links suggested in the above correspondence and found one that only works while the other is inactive. However, the source doesn't have anything on Winbook. I have been trying to restore this laptop to operation, just for the hell of it. The CMOS battery is dead. The actual Li-Ion battery is in the same state. I do have a functional power adaptor that does maintain the computer up. I am asking your readers to learn where the COMS battery is located on the motherboard. Is the battery on the top or bottom of the motherboard or is the CMOS battery near the USB as stated by one person or more central to the board? I cannot find any schematics or service manual's on this model. So, for the time being, I am a little blind to know the procedure to dismantle the laptop. Again if your readers could suggest a way to repair this model it would be helpful.

7. plodr

You aren't going to find many active links in a thread posted 10 years ago.

8. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

Manual- Winbook Si https://www.manualslib.com/manual/338363/Winbook-Si.html
    I will try to find out more, although original thread is very old

alejack likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds