Change location of Outlook XP pst files

Discussion in 'Software' started by barelij, Jun 13, 2010.

1. barelij

barelij Private E-2

Hi. Is it possible to change the location of Ooutlook XP pst files from the traditional drive c:/ to drive d:/ ?
    Will this protect those files from being erased while re-installing the operating system (Windows XP Pro SP3) ?
    Thanks, Joseph.

2. Earthling

Earthling Interplanetary Geek

Yes, though they could have made it easier! In Outlook 2002 (probably same in 2003, but maybe not in 2007), first find your pst file in Windows Explorer. Close Outlook and copy the file to wherever you would like it to be, and rename the copy to, say, joseph.pst.

Open Outlook > Tools > Options > Mail Setup, Data Files button. Click Add, OK the next box, and browse to joseph.pst and OK out. Now open Tools > Email accounts and select View or Change Existing Email Accounts, OK the next box and in the next box, at the bottom, is a button New Outlook Data File. Use that to browse to your joseph.pst and that should be it. You may get a warning about changing the location, if so just follow the prompts.

It's messy but it is well worth doing imo.

Oh, and to avoid later confiusion, once it's working, go back and delete the original file.

3. Earthling

Earthling Interplanetary Geek

I forgot to answer your second question. Yes, this will keep your Outlook data file safe in the event of any problems with the system drive C. Same logic applies to all your personal files - they should be moved off the C drive for the same reason.

4. barelij

barelij Private E-2

Thank you Earthling. The step by step procedure that you gave me is exactly what I need. If you used a more general language, I would be lost.
    There is one more problem that I am having with my Outlook, but I will bother you with it only if I won't be able to fix it by myself.
    Thanks again' Joseph.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds