Change the boot drive assigned letter?

Discussion in 'Software' started by Cherokee, Sep 16, 2006.

1. Cherokee

Cherokee Private E-2

I am hoping there is a simple answer to this but I can't seem to find it. I built a system and included a floppy drive with card readers integrated into the drive and connected to the internal USB port. When I booted the system the first time and loaded the OS (XP Pro) one of the card readers was assigned the “C” drive letter and my hard disk was assigned “F.” I have changed all the drives to the letters that I prefer except the hard disk that boots the system.

When I try to change that drive, the system prevents it because it is the boot drive. For many reasons, I want the hard disk to be “C,” which is available now that I reassigned the card readers different letters.

So can anyone please tell me how to change the boot drive’s assigned letter from “F” to “C?”

2. mcadam

mcadam Major Amnesia

You can download a trial of Partition Manager, I think this will work for it - but be careful because it can be risky business.

3. Cherokee

Cherokee Private E-2

I have researched this topic extensively and came up with an easy solution that worked for me. I bought another drive, installed it, pulled the power on all the other drives except the CD-ROM, booted from the CD, reinstalled Windows, and transferred all the data from the F drive to the new C drive. I had to reinstall all the applications but that wasn’t that hard. The PC now boots from the C drive and the F drive is a second drive.

I intend to continue to see if there is another solution rather than what I did. I am going to unplug the C drive and boot from the F drive again. I’m then going to use a Register editor and search for “:F” and change all of them to “:C.” I’ll try to boot and see it the F drive becomes the C drive and whether the various programs work.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds