Changed xp passwd, can't log into machine.

Discussion in 'Software' started by emily_wells, Jan 13, 2008.

1. emily_wells

emily_wells Private E-2

1. Home loan pc with win XP from work but no longer connected to work domain.
    2. When logging in two options, work domain or PC.
    3. Got a trojan, Backdoor.HUpigeon which took away all admin rights. (I have a thread on this on malware side).
    4. Was unable to remove the virus. Everything failed saying need admin rights.
    5. So tried to use password reset to change the admin password.
    6. Used the ERD commander utility and the one at
    home.eunet.no/~pnordahl/ntpasswd.
    7. The user name set up by the compay IT is not even listed in the users that come up with these utilites. Though can see my user name when 'explore' the pc with ERD. There are some other user names in the work pc that I had never used to log into the machine.
    8. As I did not see my username in the list of users available to change the passwd, I tried to change the passwords of the ones available in the list. ERD came back with error and now I cannot even use my original username to log in to my machine. I am completely locked out.
    9. ERD does not allow you to blank it, but 'pnordhal' does and I tried both.
    10. None of them work.
    11. I am told the reason the utillities fail is that originally the PC was set to log in to two domains, work and the PC itself (Now I do not log to work domain though as I am no longer with the company).
    12. Neither ERD nor pnordahl site utility is working for me. As far as I know I am pretty confident with working with both these utilities and am taking all steps as directed.
    13. There is just one more thing, I have two hard drives, the original one had win NT on it. Then my work IT moved it to the secondary slot and put in a new harddrive with win XP. The previous drive is not accessed at all.
    14. How do I log in ????? Why these two utils could never see or list my original user login name even though I used it all along to log into my PC ?

2. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

Sometimes if you boot in safe mode, you can log in as Administrator without a password, then remove the other accounts, or blank/change the passwords.

3. key

key Private E-2

4. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

I think this will only work if you can log in to Windows.

5. emily_wells

emily_wells Private E-2

I can no longer start the machine in Safe mode. When I boot up I press the F8 key, the correct screen comes up where I have all the choices listed including : start in safe mode and others. But from there on everything freezes and I can only power cycle or reset. This is a new thing. While working to remove the backdoor trojan I started the computer several times in safe mode with networking. Now I an unable to do so.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds