Changes to msconfig and page file: laptop wont boot anymore

Discussion in 'Software' started by Auror, Mar 8, 2013.

1. Auror

Auror Private E-2

Help! I just recently changed the page file to 1.5x my RAM and set both fields to the same value, and made it so that my laptop would boot using 2 cores, and now I keep getting blue screen with "Bad system config info" and looping with startup repair. I was able to get into safe mode and change the settings back, but now I can't get even get into safe mode either, I get the blue screen. I am running windows 7 premium with an ASUS intel core i7 processor. I realised afterwards that A) it was a dumb idea to mess around with stuff i didn't properly understand, and B) that I have 4 cores, being an i7, and that choosing 2 probably has caused all of this to happen

Thanks in advance!

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

Do you have a System Restore point just before you started these tweaks as if you do I would restore back as its not easy to fix these changes if they do not revert back to working ok when changed back.

What is the BSOD message in full?

May need to use startup repair and then system restore http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows7/products/features/startup-repair

Yes sadly the modern Windows versions do not need the tweaking in reality that the older ones did and various tweaks in the internet that say they are ok for newer Windows versions are not really fully tested IMHO, so cause these issues.

3. Auror

Auror Private E-2

Thanks very much for the hasty reply. I have given my computer in to be looked at by a professional, and hoping that he can undo the changes and put it into working order. Trying to avoid system restore if at all possible. System restore is something I can do right? I shouldn't pay him to do it? I heard it was accessible through an alt+f? command when your computer boots up.

Cheers

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds