Changing Dell BIOS settings blind.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Arbitration, Nov 3, 2009.

1. Arbitration

Arbitration Private E-2

I'm reformatting my cousin's Dell Inspiron 1520 laptop, but need to change my BIOS settings to hit the disc drive first. Here's my problem.

Unfortunately, the LCD is cracked. In some way to spite me, the left side of the screen still works. Just enough for me to see the first letter of what I'm on.

I need help with anyone who has the same laptop, or knows how to navigate the dell BIOS. I need to know which field will allow me to change the boot order. After that, I need to know, from how it's set up from the factory, how to change the order and how many times I need to press the button to change the boot priority to CD-ROM first.

Basically, what I'm asking is for you to walk me through this, cause I'm going in completely blind on this one.

2. pclover

pclover MajorGeek

Well if the screen is cracked you are going to have a really hard time reading it depending on how bad it's cracked.

You may want to hook up a external display.

When you first turn on your pc you should get an option like Push F12 for boot menu and then select your cd rom drive.

3. Arbitration

Arbitration Private E-2

Oh man, thank you, good sir. I'll be back if I run into any more problems along the way

4. pclover

pclover MajorGeek

Glad I could help :)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds