Changing from WinME to Win 2k

Discussion in 'Software' started by neutron, Jun 16, 2006.

1. neutron

neutron Private E-2

Hi all.
    With the impending cancellation of MS support for ME this must be a hottish topic but I couldn't find a thread dedicated to it.
    I have WinME on my laptop and I also have the CDs for win2k. Can anyone tell me if it is possible somehow to replace ME with 2k?
    I have heard many people scream that it can't be done...but can it?
    Would I need to deinstall ME first (ugh), or have dual OSs (ugh) or can it simply not be done??
    If anyone HAS done it I would also love to hear HOW!!!
    Thanks for any reply or help or suggestions!

2. Hipster Doofus

Hipster Doofus MajorGeek

You can go either way you want.

1/ Format & get rid of ME all together.

2/ Dual boot with win2k.

Just make sure you have the drivers ready for installing win2k.

Pick what you want then I'm sure someone will guide you through.

3. neutron

neutron Private E-2

Thanks for the reply...can it be done without deinstalling or dual booting? Just straghtforward "upgrading"?

4. Hipster Doofus

Hipster Doofus MajorGeek

Have a read of this.

That should get you going. ME will be similar if not the same as 98.

Hang on. Just found this over at Microsoft.

Looks like I was leading you up the garden path.......sorry.

Looks like formatting is the only way to go. :(

5. neutron

neutron Private E-2

#&%$!! (Insert word not used in polite Australian or English circles).

I knew I had seen that somewhere, thanks for finding it...I got nowhere on the MicroSoft website!

This sounds a bit intimidatingly complicated. When I put the win2k CD into the laptop a window opens which just says that the CD has a newer version of windows than what is on the laptop and would I like to actualise it?

I guess it's just not that easy though?

6. Hipster Doofus

Hipster Doofus MajorGeek

If you are not concerned about losing ME by formatting then reinstalling your software it is not too hard to do (formatting). All you need is those drivers for win2k to get you going.

Save all your docs, emails, etc. Insert the win2k disc, bootup (have your cd rom to boot first in the bios), then follow the screens. Delete the partition with ME on it then install win2k.

That's pretty much it.

7. neutron

neutron Private E-2

Sounds suspiciously easy!

Ok, thanks a lot...good luck to the socceroos too...till they meet England of course!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds