Changing hard drive.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Loyola, Oct 6, 2006.

1. Loyola

Loyola Private E-2

Hello, I'm new here. I recently bought a new computer, so I decided to give my old computer to my sister. I had Me on mine, and she has XP, so I decided to try and swap hard drives. They are both Maxtor 40 GB HDs, but when I try booting up my sister's drive, it just goes to a black screen with a cursor at the top left blinking. The jumpers are definitely correct, the bios is definitely set up correctly, so what else can I try? Thank you so much for your time.

2. Rikky

Rikky Wile E. Coyote - One of a kind

Welcome to the forum,unfortunately you cant switch a hardrive installed on a different machine it just wont work,many of the drivers and settings are loaded up for your sisters computer which obviously wont work on yours,windows xp can also fail to load on a different computer as some versions are only meant to be used on one machine,if it detects too many part changes it will fail to load due to copyright infraction

Probably not the answer your looking for but thats the heads and tails of it,a clean fresh installation of windows is the only way to go:)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds