Changing Internal Mobile Broadband Modem Provider

Discussion in 'Software' started by Anon-40a78c2a22, Jan 24, 2009.

1. Anon-40a78c2a22

Anon-40a78c2a22 Anonymized

My Dell Inspiron came with a built in mobile broadband modem.
    It is set up to default to a TELUS mobil broadband service. I would like to change the provider.

I have an mobil cell broadband contract with a provider called MOVICEL (in Angola). When my old computer was stolen the MOVICEL card was also taken with it. I want to convert the new computer over to use my MOVICEL service, which just implies directing the mobile broadband modem to call up the local
    cell number that is dedicated to my service. I have this number but can't get beyond the TELUS installation programme in the Inspiron.

Can you advise me how I can go about installing this other service?

2. peterpan8

peterpan8 Private E-2

Not sure if this applies to your model of Inspiron, but on another forum someone said you need to put a microSD card into a slot on the modem --"most Dell laptops do come with a slot for the SIM card. It is normally located in the battery bay when you remove the battery." Software from your service provider would probably have to be pre-installed on the card.

3. Anon-40a78c2a22

Anon-40a78c2a22 Anonymized

In the end I managed to speak with a technical rep at Dell and they told me the following:
    "Unfortunately the broadband card only works on a specific provider.
    The only option there is to get a new broadband card for that specific
    provider." (in this case from MOVICEL).

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds