Changing IP addy, I am ignorant

Discussion in 'Software' started by goldcountryrose, Dec 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. goldcountryrose

goldcountryrose Private E-2

I did a google search about doing this and found answers, but I am worried.

I am on forever dial up (I live way up in the mountains and nobody is planning any other service here) so I have aol, then once online, I can use IE.

What I am worried about is if I go to start, then follow the directions that I got from google, could it mess up my aol connection? Its all I have, I'd sure hate to change my IP and lose aol, somehow.

As you can clearly tell, I'm not very savvy about this.

I want to change my IP Addy because I have been banned from the In Session message boards on both the aol and the IE IP addys. I get a little emotional about political issues according to them. I can't even get in so I can appeal their decision.

Help?!?

2. ~Q~

~Q~ Command Sergeant Major

Hi gold', I know a couple of tricks to get a new IP but it has been so long since i used a dial up connection, i'm not sure if it will mess with your connection.

You could have a go and use system restore as a back up plan if your feeling brave?

edit: forgot to mention, if your IP is static, you can NOT change it.

3. Colemanguy

Colemanguy MajorGeek

System restore wont change anything about your ip on a dial up connection, must dialup connections hand out ips using dhcp, well all that i ever heard of, the only way to change your ip is to just keep dialing in, or somehow see if your isp will force an ip change for you (unlikely) Your aol connection and dialup connection unless you pay both aol and another dial up isp for a connection are the same ip, often people will dial up with aol and use ie and not realize aol provides the connection still or vis versa. If you found a specific set of instructions you would like us to check, you should post a link to those for us to fact check.

4. sach2

sach2 Major Geek Extraordinaire

I'm wondering if using a free proxy might be a simple solution? Proxies slow connections but since your input and the sites output is just text it may not make much difference.

Just google 'free proxy'. Here is one http://www.anonymousunblock.com/

See if you can get in to In Session. I could get to the site using the proxy but I'm not sure about posting in the forum.

5. Texan

Texan Private First Class

sach2 gave good advice. There are tons of sites like he mentioned but for faster browsing you need ones that are the least popular (not used as much) because traffic slows it down. anonymouse.org is the most used. Type 'Surf anonymously' into your favorite search engine and you will find many sites.

99% chance is that you have a dynamic IP address. If you have dial-up, just disconnecting and dialing up again will usually change your IP. Powering off your DSL modem and waiting 30 seconds and reconnection does the trick too.

A static IP address never changes but if you can get one...or several there are software programs that will hide your IP address. They don't work on dynamic connections. There is also things you can do manually to hide your static IP address too.

It would be helpful to know what you need this for because there are a few other tricks but I understand if you choose to withhold that info.

6. Colemanguy

Colemanguy MajorGeek

Read the post, they stated they are banned from a forum.

7. ~Q~

@ colemanguy...

I referred to system restore as a way of fixing things if changing settings messed something up.

I am more than aware that system restore can't change your IP.

I don't think any proxy is gonna be useful here (deffo none of the free web proxies) as he wants to register on a forum, where it is 99% posiitve all known web proxies will be banned from registrations.

If you want to give it a go, i would release your IP, flush your DNS and then unplug your router/modem....

Then spoof your PC's MAC address, reboot, and reconnect your router/modem
    (you may need to renew your IP manually then)

8. Colemanguy

Colemanguy MajorGeek

That would work if he had a highspeed connection, as they stated they are using dialup, no it wont work.

Frankly, we really shouldn't be helping people get around forum bans, but ill leave that up to the mods to decide.

9. Earthling

Earthling Interplanetary Geek

The IP address has nothing to do with this problem as it's either your email address and/or username that are banned. You could re-register using a different email addy.

10. ~Q~

I'd bet if he has already tried two email addy's and been banned or blocked they will have IP banned him aswell.

11. Earthling

Maybe, but as most private users have dynamic IPs ........... ?

12. ~Q~

Speaking from experience on both sides of a forum ban...

If you come back after one IP ban on a new one, then ban the whole range from registration (or put it on moderation)

It's very easy to do, and you cant get outside your own range.

Also, i dont know about other ISP's, but unless i force it, my IP seems to stay the same indefinitely (never gone more than a couple of months without changing it though)

13. Earthling

Well that wouldn't be possible here. I just rebooted the router twice and got

and I just rebooted it again just in case anyone gets any cute ideas :-D

14. ~Q~

that just means your ISP has more than one "block" of IP's, they are all known and would all get blocked.

edit: My ISP uses 82.xxx.xxx.xxx 94.xxx.xxx.xxx 77.xxx.xxx.xxx and probaly have more that i just havn't seen, but each ISp has it's own set and they are all public knowledge.

15. Earthling

So a forum would have to block tens of thousands of IPs to block one unwelcome member? :confused Really doesn't seem very likely to me.

16. ~Q~

It's not like they have to block them one by one, and yes, it happens everyday.

17. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

While there are ways to get around IP bans, sadly I'm not going down that route as I have like you in your political forums, a strong belief in the etiquette of online forums and not circumventing blocks that a website or admin on a network has added.

I will leave you with this thought as an Admin myself, even if you do get to signup with a new account and IP, trust me a good Admin will either notice your posting style as well as other clues, IP is not the only factor (time is and while they may not notice at first they will do later). If you continue to try and get around the AOL site forums blocks, the Admins there "could" report you to your ISP for being a nuisance and depending on how forceful the site and or ISP are, the ISP may terminate your service.

Best bet is to find another political based discussion forum, plenty out there.

18. oneeyejack

oneeyejack Guest

Hello. I'm really surprised that MajorGeeks is allowing this thread on the forum. Sense it seems to be allowed, I will add my 2 cents.
    The way a forum identifies you is by Your user Name. Your Password, Your IP address, Your Email Address, and last of all by your manner of posting.
    If you are banned, you can try the suggestions offered in the other posts here on this thread.
    If you get back on a site that has banned you, I suggest changing your manner of posting and behave your self if you don't want to be banned again.
    If you want to surf in privacy on the Web, I suggest Tor Vadilia. Its used by the Armed Services. Abused Women, Navy Seals,ect.
    Please do not abuse Tor. They are a good outfit and they won't put up with any crap.
    That's my 2 cents
    PS Some Web sites are so paranoid they block a whole Block of IP addresses. I'm familiar with one that has blocked 72 towns in Oklahoma because they hate a banned member so bad. That to me is stupid but that's their problem. Spamming is also a reason to get banned.
    I hope this has helped and not given an outlaw some bad advice.
    oneeyejack!!

19. Colemanguy

Colemanguy MajorGeek

Do you have any info that the miltary uses tor? seeing its an open source app that they can't control i would find it unlikely that they wouldn't rely on there own private systems for security verus a public app. Just seems odd to me.

20. oneeyejack

oneeyejack Guest

Hello Friend!!
    I'm not a computer Geek. I'm self taught from friends and forums like this.
    I only know what I have read about Tor. Can I say for certain that the military uses Tor?? No I can't!!
    Please click here and you will know just as much as I know.
    Thank you for your question.

21. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

No, we should not be helping someone circumvent the forum bans. :major

22. oneeyejack

oneeyejack Guest

Hello Tim.
    I agree; and with no disrespect to you sir. I personally think a person some times deserves a 2nd chance.
    In my reply on this thread; I advised the author of this thread to change their habits and not be APITA if they were allowed back on a site that banned them.
    Again sir with all due respect to you, banning a member is pretty harsh punishment.
    I know there are rules that must be followed and Administrators have to make some really tough decisions.
    There has to be order on a forum, other wise all hell will break out.
    I understand this very well
    I also understand, and have been on the other side of this.
    When you join a forum, you make many friends.
    When you are banned, you are cut off from these friends and that's
    a awful feeling.
    Being a administrator, you probably have never been on the other side.
    I have sir and even though I probably deserved it, I would have loved to have a 2 nd chance to repent and be apart of group again.
    I hope you take this the way it was meant.
    I mean no disrespect to what you posted.
    I'm only giving my thoughts to the other side.
    Thank you sir!!;);)

23. TimW

It still is not our place to try to circumvent some other forums rules. We really have no idea what caused the ban. If the OP wants to contact the forum admins, I am sure there is a way to contact them and ask for a second chance. Circumventing their rules could just make them even more determined to keep the ban in place.

Numerous people have been banned on this site. Many have returned after offering an apology directly to M.A. The OP should offer the same apology to the site admins. where they were banned. :major

24. augiedoggie

augiedoggie The Canadian Loon - LocoAugie (R.I.P. 2012)

Nah, erased my comments from the peanut gallery.:innocent:-D I agree with TimW as most if not all sites have an e-mail posted that everyone can reach. If they don't acknowledge you then just move on. Life's too short.:)

25. oneeyejack

oneeyejack Guest

Hello Tim.
    There isn't a simple answer for this, and having the power to ban a member is not a responsibility I would ever want.
    I'm very glad to hear that M.A. gave members a second chance. .
    M.A. has been very fair to me, and we have exchanged our thoughts through email.
    We do not agree on some things , but I truly believe M.A. has the same respect for me as I do to him. At least I hope he does.
    There isn't always a way to contact the forum administrators when you have been banned.
    That's why I said to the author of this thread
    You have a tough job, and I don't envy your position.
    These are my thoughts and I mean no disrespect to you or anyone on this forum.
    oneeyejack!! PS There are some thin skinned Addms on some sites and have a real ego problem, but I haven't seen that here at MajorGeeks I hope I don't see that here.
    Thank you!!

26. TimW

Actually, there is a "simple" answer to this. You either accept the rules of a forum or move on. The OP may or may not be able to contact the site administrators, but it is not within our purview to assist her in breaking their rules. :major Period.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds