Changing MAC address loses internet

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jwilk, Dec 3, 2009.

1. jwilk

jwilk Private E-2

I am trying to change the address on my network adapter card because a software I want to use is tied to a specific card address. When I change the the number by switching from 'not present' to a 'value' number in the card properties I loose my internet connection.

I have tried using SMAC to spoof the address but it when applied the spoof address also changes the active address and again I loose my connection.

Any suggestions appreciated.

2. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Using a cable modem I presume?

Reset the cable modem, actually power it off and back on after changing the mac address so it can train to the new one. Its still trained to the old mac.

3. jwilk

jwilk Private E-2

Yes I am using a cable modem. I did as you suggested and was able restore my internet connection. However my network address did not change. The card properties/value shows it as the new one, the one I want but dos promt /cmd/ipconfig /all it still shows the old address number. How could that be?

4. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Thats a good question. What program did you change it with?

5. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Make sure you are looking at the right adapter in ipconfig.

Attached Files:

6. jwilk

jwilk Private E-2

I am not using any software to change the address. I am doing it manually by entering a value for the network card in its properties. Ipconfig only shows one adapter card and the description matches so it would seem to be the right one. There is another card but it is disabled.

Attached Files:

7. collinsl

collinsl MajorGeek

Are you attempting to alter the IP address or the MAC address here?

They are 2 diferent addresses for the same card.

8. jwilk

jwilk Private E-2

I am not sure which I need to change. The license info file for the software I want to run says "Attached license for machine with Network Card Physical Address of: 00:1D:7D:A8:01:8E" which was the address on my old computer. I am using a different computer now and this card has a different address so I am trying to get that specific address on this card. I dont know if "physical Address refers to an IP or MAC address.

9. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Physical address is synonomous with MAC address.

Try some software I used.

Due to the potentially shady nature of changing a MAC address, I will PM you the link to it once you enable your PMs.

10. jwilk

jwilk Private E-2

I think my PM is enabled now but cannot test it with my level of posts.

11. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

I sent you a PM. Post here how you fared.

12. KingSteve

KingSteve MajorGeek

you know if the card isnt on board, you could just swap cards....

13. jwilk

jwilk Private E-2

Ok, I finally got this working. It turned out to be embarrassingly simple and didn't require any software

I change the MAC address manually by going to network connections/selecting my connection adapter card/properties/general/configure/advanced/network address/value. Here I entered the new MAC address. This is where I always lost my internet connection even after restarting. After talking to my ISP I found out the I need to do a complete shut down, turn off the cable modem and wait for one minute, turn the modem on first then my computer. The modem then detected the new address, assigned the IP to it and all works fine.

Thanks for all help.

14. infoseeker

infoseeker Master Sergeant

Code:
    i got almost same problem
    but the idea of the TS did not resolve my problem
    as im trying google on smac spoofing it led me here in MGforums

any software can change mac*address on my modem?

i have no luck on google and the website of the manufacturer of the modem

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds