Changing out power supplies

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by kaleckton, Feb 2, 2011.

1. kaleckton

kaleckton Private E-2

Okay I want to upgrade my power supply and graphics card on my computer. I havent done this since last time and I was 15 then, now 23. Getting confused on some of the connectors to the point I dont even know if its worth it, and I dont even know how many watts I should go for something thats not going to be overclocked. Just dont want to buy a new computer for another year or two at least. Not even sure if my motherboard can fully use the new one I want to buy. Thinking about upgrading form gt 220 1 gig to gtx 460 768 meg. I do currently play with 4 windows of eve online open at once with current card. dxdiag included. Think if I can upgrade the graphics card and power supply my computer can go for another 2 years hopefully. Rather pay 150 to 200 bucks for the new power supply and card which i found to be on sale then pay for a brand new system which if i saved and waited for later might make a much better deal later for a much better computer than i can get now For those that help thank you.

Attached Files:

2. pclover

pclover MajorGeek

3. gman863

gman863 MajorGeek

Not trying to steal pclover's thunder, but this may be a better deal based on the user reviews, free shipping, promo discount code and rebate:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371031

Even if you don't need this much wattage now, it could come in handy if or when you do a complete rebuild upgrade. Hope this tip helps. :)

4. pclover

pclover MajorGeek

Yeah that PSU is a bit better. Just not a fan of Multi 12+ rail design. Doesn't really effect you just my personal preference.

Both PSU mentioned should work just fine for you. Both are good power supplies

Other brand you could look at are

5. kaleckton

kaleckton Private E-2

well,was thinking about the 460, but now I dont know. I like nvidia because i have never ran into compatibility issues. Actually thinking about going to GTX 560 Ti instead. I want something that will let my system last another year or so until I can afford a whole system. Then it goes to my sister. I just dont know how to get final cost to be somewhere around 200 to 300 dollars. Including the adapters Im going to have to end up buying. Anyone know how much of a difference I can actually get? Not even sure if I have a x-16 lane on my pci express 2.0. I think I do. Then if i do go with the more expensive one I have to get a even bigger card, along with a Killer™ Xeno™ Pro gaming network card that i added and a internal blu ray player I will also be adding instead of using the external one. Maybe also get something thats power hungry in one or both of my remaining pci express slots.

6. kaleckton

kaleckton Private E-2

hit a blond moment, forgot to check for dual slot and single slot status. hmmm, Ideally I can take out one of my bottom slots, but my stop slot will be a hard one to lose. This is going to be trickier than i thought

7. kaleckton

kaleckton Private E-2

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds