Changing PSU fans.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Steeev, Sep 9, 2006.

1. Steeev

Steeev Corporal

HI
    I've pretty much finished modding my case now.
    All I want to do now is take the noise level down a bit. This means changing some of my generic fans and VGA cooler.
    One other thing to address is my Ultra XConnect 500W PSU. It's good looking, stable but LOUD considering it calls itself "silent"
    I want to swap the fans out of this PSU with efficient, quieter fans. I want to make sure, though that they bung out enough air not to fry the unit. I can't find a definite value of the CFM for the fans in the unit.
    Has anyone done this with an Ultra PSU, or know what the air flow rate is of the fans?
    Cheeers.
    Steeev.

2. zepper

zepper Corporal

I'd recommend replacing that PSU with a real one (e.g. Enhance ENP-5150GH from eWiz.com via Froogle - save a buck or so that way). Quote from a review of the original X-Connect: "There used to be only two categories of PSU: good ones and crap. Now there's a third - crap that glows."

But if you really want to change out the fan(s), you will need to know what's in there as the thermal fan control circuit won't operate correctly if the replacements are too far away from the originals in CFM and current rating (Amps). See if you can get the fan specs out of Ultra - if their tech support is anything like their warranty service, the specs won't be forthcoming.

Or you could just replace them with anything that fits and control the fan from a separate fan controller - that's what I usually do as I think that many of the thermal controllers in the PSUs today let them run too warm anyway.

.bh.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds