Changing screen resolution makes my taskbar disappear

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Denise_M, Jan 22, 2009.

1. Denise_M

Denise_M MajorGeek

Hi,

I just bought a Dell UltraSharp 2408WFP monitor. When I have the screen resolution set to the highest of 1920x1200, everything looks too small. When I raise it up a notch, to 1600x1200, my taskbar disappears. It's not set on auto-hide. Does anyone know what's going on and how I can reduce the resolution without losing my taskbar?

2. Denise_M

Denise_M MajorGeek

Come on Geeks! You guys are good! :major I know you must have at least one idea.

3. Stubby

Stubby R.I.P. (September 3, 1949 - January 26, 2011)

Well Denise, this is just a 'stab in the dark,' but does your monitor have adjustments for the vertical\horizontal positioning\sizing of the desktop? Or maybe even an auto centering adjustment? If everytime you go to a lower resolution, (larger picture) maybe your taskbar is getting hidden on the lower part of your screen. Like I said, I'm just pretty much guessing here, but it could be a starting place.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2009
  4. Denise_M

Denise_M MajorGeek

Hi Stubby . . . thanks for replying. :)

My monitor has an adjustment to auto fit so that the screen is completely centered. I tried that but it didn't help to stretch the picture to fit from side to side. I still have the 2 bars on both sides.

I was also thinking that my taskbar was going below the screen size but it never did that on my last lcd screen. It's strange. Maybe because this one is a widescreen.

5. Stubby

Stubby R.I.P. (September 3, 1949 - January 26, 2011)

At your current resolution, did you try to re-size it vertically? You may just be right that the taskbar is going below the screen size and, hopefully, by re-sizing it smaller vertically it'll come back. I doubt that it being a wide screen would have any affect on it vertically. Then again, I wouldn't know because I'm not rich enough to afford a big, fancy wide screen computer monitor!!!:-D I'm stuck with a 22" CRT!;)

6. Denise_M

Denise_M MajorGeek

Yea, I can try that . . . not sure how but I'll give it a look.

Rich? roflmao . . . I've been unemployed for 4 years and been living off credit cards. I have so much debt, I coulda bought a house! But I figure, ya gotta treat yourself sometime with something, otherwise what's the sense? ;)

7. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

Google says 1920x1200 is the native resolution of the monitor. You should run it at that.

If you are having issues with that resolution, can you post a screenshot?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds