changing subnet mask manually?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by akasup3rman, Jul 20, 2005.

1. akasup3rman

akasup3rman Private E-2

say i go to network connections
    right click on local area connection
    go to properties
    go to TCP/IP properties

and there is a static subnet mask

is it ok to change the numbers to fit or to mimic another computer that is in the same network?

will taht damage anything?

is there a better way to change it? thanks

2. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

I believe as long as there are enough IP's on that subnet to use , then it shouldn't do anything radical other than put you on that subnet. But remember, you'll need to use an IP address that is available on that subnet.

3. foogoo

foogoo Major "foogoo" Geek

Haveing the same IPs doesnt put a PC on the same network..

nnnnnnnn.nnnnnnnn.nnnnnnn.hhhhhhhh
    Where you have a '255' is defining the network .. so the octets are:
    N=network
    S=subnet
    H=host

So goto
    nnnnnnnn.nnnnnnnn.nnnnnnnn.sssssshhh
    is an entirely different network.. that allows 6 hosts ... so you have to chang your mask to be on this network.

Finally if that network doesnt have a DHCP handing out addresses on it then yes you'd need to manually add (static) your IP info.
    Last is there an easy way? Maybe this could help...
    http://www.snapfiles.com/get/netswitcher.html

4. Turcoloco

Turcoloco MajorGeek

Is that your own LAN or a friend's or employer's?
    Before making any kind of changes I suggest you make sure you are authorized to do so.
    If there is a Network Admin or a person who had done the setup and he is available, that should be very helpful. worst case scenario, first find out if these machines in question already were a part of an existing network group/domain or not because making any network related changes could have negative impact.
    If there are no concerns in those regards, find out more about these PC's network configuration by running the ipconfig /all command at the prompt which works with pretty much all flavors of Windows. Most networked PC use a DHCP configuration these days to make their IP related configuration much easier, could that be something applicable to these machines as well?

I am giving somewhat vague ideas because you haven't given much info to us but I hope it helps...

~TL ;)

5. akasup3rman

akasup3rman Private E-2

hmm sorry.. this isnt my own lan. .its a computer at work, and talking with the tech guy, he says that these computers are connected on a network through a peer to peer system? not sure what that means..

but anyways, i can't view or see this other computer in the other room, and they have different subnet numbers.. .so im thinking i can just change it to match.

and my assumption is that they would then be able to "recognize" each other as being on the same network?

does this help any more?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds