Changing the system disk

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Anon-15281db623, Oct 30, 2009.

1. Anon-15281db623

Anon-15281db623 Anonymized

Here is my problem. Disk 3 is my brand new hard drive. I just formatted and installed windows 7 and have everything to my liking.

Disk 2 was formatted and I moved important information from Disk 0 to it.

Disk 1 is faulty and doesn't play into the situation.

Disk 0 is my only ATA drive. The rest are SATA.

I want to get rid of Disk 0 completly since its my smallest and slowest drive.

My problem is that when I disconnect Disk 0 from my computer, I get the "Boot failure, please insert system disk and press enter". This is because my 'system' disk is disk 0 and when I remove it, I can't boot into windows even though windows is installed on Disk 3.

My question is, how can I make Disk 3 the system disk so its the first boot device and goes to windows. Right now if I boot disk 3 first, windows will not boot. The only way windows boots, is if Disk 0 is set to boot first.

Does anyone have any ideas? I can't find any settings under disk management and Google has only yielded problems with bad hard drives. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

[​IMG]

2. Tux_Rules

Tux_Rules Corporal

3. Anon-15281db623

I was able to make it active but that didn't change anything.

I also tried to use Bootrec.exe /RebuildBcd

It finds the windows instillation, then gives these options: "Add install to boot list? Yes/No/All" When I choose "Y" (or "A",) it says "Element Not Found"

4. DOA

DOA MG's Loki

Have you checked your BIOS settings thoroughly?
    Maybe there is an IDE / SATA setting in there to change?

Guessing here as the experts above have the most probable cause covered.
    What happens when only your drive 3 is in the machine?

5. Anon-15281db623

I checked all the bios settings, there is nothing there that I can see.

I think i'd be ok if I could get boot files onto drive 3, because right now there are none.

When Drive 3 is the only drive connected, I get the "insert system disk" error.

6. Anon-15281db623

I'm just going to reinstall windows with only the 750GB drive attached. Drying to figure this out is giving me a headache. :p

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds