Check Disk \ Auto Check Alternatives

Discussion in 'Software' started by mod_desolator, Dec 18, 2007.

1. mod_desolator

mod_desolator Private E-2

Sup ppl?

I've been trying to get chech disk to run on startup for about a month now with now succes. I've searched the net constantly and tried tons of different approaches, but they all failed for me.

Anyway, I keep getting a baloon popup saying I should run chech disk because I have errors. I was hoping there's any type of software I can buy/download that will do the same thing as Check Disk, as in fix errors and bad sectors on disk.

Thanks in advance ppl.

-Des

2. mod_desolator

Well...? I'm sure there must be some available.

-Des

3. dr.moriarty

dr.moriarty Malware Super Sleuth Staff Member

The results of a MG search are here. You should find a few. :)

dr.m

4. mod_desolator

I've been going through the results, they aren't helpful man. Thanks fa tha reply though.

-Des

5. Fadu4u

Fadu4u Private E-2

The most simplest solution to get rid of check disk is :

RUN > REGEDIT

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager

In the right hand pane, double click BootExecute.

The default value of the key is autocheck autochk *

(JUST REMOVE THIS STAR * AND RESTART YOUR PC)

6. mod_desolator

Wow.. umm... you made an account just to reply, that was nice of you. But sadly tho, this thread was about getting ChkDsk to run, to to prevent it from doing that.

:D

~Des

7. thesmokingun

thesmokingun MajorGeek

have you tried to boot from your windows cd and run chkdsk from the recovery console?

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314058
    check out option 2

when you get to the prompt, type chkdsk /r

8. mod_desolator

Oh, i forgot to state that i got around this problem. I tried your suggested option as well and it didn't work.

What i ended up doing was downloading the Ubuntu Preinstalled Environment, booted from the CD and ran the check on the drive with all options selected from there. I got that disk put away for future problems, it owns man! I could even use wireless internet in that environment while the drive was being checked. Also proved useful to recover/backup files on other people's PCs before format. Kool shjt. :cool

~Des

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds