Check Disk

Discussion in 'Software' started by mark59, Jan 13, 2015.

1. mark59

mark59 MajorGeek

One of the two drives on my laptop is faulty (according to the computer.) I've run chkdsk but the fault isn't repaired. Is there anything better for checking and repairing drives than Window's own in-built software?

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

If the drive is starting to go bad then I would really start looking at a new drive and most of all backing up your data.

What you can use is some of the tools HERE but also find out what make and model HDD you have and see if the maker has a drive tool, many do.

Try this HERE also to check the SMART status of your drive

3. mark59

mark59 MajorGeek

I'm not absolutely sure on this because my IT literacy hasn't kept pace with IT. I think it'd be more correct to say the problem was with a partition. I don't know I'm guessing. I've two drives C and D. C is what we'd call the hard drive. I'll be completely honest I'm not sure exactly what the D drive is for. My PC came like that (it's an Acer Aspire 5920) and from on older thread I started I recall someone telling me that Acer always deliver laptops partitioned in this way. The PC is only reporting a problem with the D drive. I noticed this because I back up regularly with a schedule that automatically runs. I save the backup to drive D and became aware of the problem when the PC reported a backup had failed.

4. mark59

mark59 MajorGeek

Not yet because I've only just picked up the responses but I shall be doing.

5. mark59

mark59 MajorGeek

HDD Health reports that drive health is “excellent”. Regarding my partitions it just gives the size and free space left on ‘c:\ ACER’ and ‘d:\ DATA’.

I’m now going on to do the other recommended checks.

6. mark59

mark59 MajorGeek

I am confused. Thus far I have only downloaded and used HDD Health. I know that is solely telling me the state of my hardware and not repairing it.

My laptop has just started without giving me the message that there is a fault on D. The automatic backup has just run and reported that it ran succesfully; that is the first time in a week.

I will still run the other checks recommended. I could try numerous ones but that would be time consuming and I do not know if it would be useful.

I have downloaded one of the tools listed in the link provided by DavidGP and will also run the one recommended JoeRay12.

I am always willing to take advice on matters about which I know little. If I am not doing the right thing I will take no offence in being told that.

7. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

HI Mark

Do try the others tests as it maybe the case of a false positive in chkdsk. Reason as you mentioned I suggested the HDD Health is the SMART status is a good guide to a failing drive in many cases, but try the other scans and definatly the one JoeRay12 posted and let us know how you get on.

Could you also tell us a few things:

Make and Model of your Laptop?
    Windows version and Service Pack?
    Do you get any other errors when booting your PC or in general use that may mention Hard Drive errors or any Blue Screen BSOD crashes? if so please see if you remember the messages.

8. mark59

mark59 MajorGeek

Hi David

The laptop is made by Acer and the model is Aspire 5920.

The windows version is Vista HP SP2.

I get no other errors messages, I've not had the BSOD and there's no other indications that it might be anything else wrong.

The only possibility is that it's getting too hot. Yesterday evening HDD Health was saying that the hard drive was getting too hot. I've two problems in relation to that. As we're all aware it's not the easiest thing to do to keep a laptop cool. I'm also limited to the position I can put it in or the electrical cord doesn't make contact and the laptop is then unpowered (the battery lasts on its own at best an hour).

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds