checkpoint [Vopn]

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by es336td, Apr 2, 2008.

1. es336td

es336td Private E-2

CPU: PROCESSOR..., 82815, 1.13, 256, 133FSB, TUALATIN
    RAM: DUAL IN-LINE MEMORY MODULE..., 128, 133M, 16X64, 4K, 168

A friend gave me his computer to checkout. Any attempt to boot gives the following message: "Alert! Previous attempts at booting this system have failed at checkpoint [Vopn]."

This site explained the status lights on the back of the CPU. Upon failure lights A & B are yellow and C & D are green. I removed the battery, and did the power switch thing but that solved nothing. Could this be the warning of a low battery? I have even done the remove one DIMM at a time to identify the bad one... both out... same problem... either slot... same problem. The orientation in the slot is the same as it was when the thing was working.

Hopefully I've explained myself. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Louie

2. joelsz

joelsz First Sergeant

You might want to try disconnecting any external modules (printers - webcams - external hard drives etc.) except the keyboard and mouse and try booting again.
    It is possible the BIOS boot is getting hung up on a peripheral.

The error lights on the back of the CPU indicate a memory module failure but the chance that more than one DIMM failed at the same time, is very small.

If this doesn't work you can try to reset the BIOS by:
    Unplugging the system.
    Pushing the power on button a few times and then holding it down.
    Finally plug it back in a try again..

3. es336td

es336td Private E-2

Thanx! There is nothing but keyboard, mouse, monitor connected. I tried the power switch thing, but I'll try again.

4. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Maybe this computer is the one in one thousand that both DIMMs are bad.
    Do you have a good stick to try?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds