chipset

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jackabyte, Jun 29, 2005.

1. jackabyte

jackabyte Private E-2

hi all,(total noob here).
    i hope someone can help,my problem is that i have a p4 titan series motherboard GA-8S648(-L).i have a intel celaron 2.6ghz processer and i was going to upgrade to a p4 3.0ghz with HT(hyper-threading),and was wandering if the 648 chipset supports HT.any help would be appreciated.

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

3. jackabyte

jackabyte Private E-2

thnx m8 great help,i'm a bit confused why it supports 3.6 and not 3.0 :confused: but thnx again :D

4. DavidGP

The 3.6g Northwood is a FSB 533 and the 3.0g Northwood is a FSB 800 with them being different bus speeds the motherboard would have to support those speeds and your particular one sadly doesnt.

5. jackabyte

jackabyte Private E-2

ah,i see.i'm sure mine supports 533 fsb (478 pin socket).but when i went on the intel website i couldn't see one,have they stopped makeing them and moved on to 800 fsb?.

6. jackabyte

jackabyte Private E-2

ok so would i be better of upgradeing my motherboard to take a 800 fsb processer or wouldn't i notice much of a difference with a 533 fsb,and if so which is better amd or intel i mostly play games on my com and a little web surfin.

7. rogvalcox

rogvalcox MajorGeek

Try posting when you have something worthwile to add.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 30, 2005
  8. Rikky

Rikky Wile E. Coyote - One of a kind

Another totally non relevant post. Spam your opinions elsewhere this is a HELP forum. Posts not pertaining to directly helping someone will be deleted.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 30, 2005
  9. A.Son

A.Son Sergeant

It is 848 Chipset not 648 chipset, 848 chipset can support to HT bus 800 at 3g2 but It depend on the updated bios from manufacturer.

10. A.Son

A.Son Sergeant

11. Rikky

originally posted by jackabyte

I would to help you and give my opinion why AMD boards currently offer more performance for gameplay,but I am not allowed,try and click this link to performance figures before it is deleted.lol :)

http://www.tomshardware.com/cpu/20041221/cpu_charts-15.html#directx_9

The nf3 boards and cpu's are clearly much faster than the $1000 EE Intel cpu and boards.

12. DavidGP

You are allowed to give advice Rikky, just best in the techy side of MGs to also say why you think an alternative is better and worth changing to, if you say AMD is better give some constructive info as to why and what HW you would suggest jackabyte should get.... I'd be interested as I'm more an Intel users than AMD... but I will be most likely getting an AMD baised Sempron laptop soon.

as to the P4s jackabyte.. not many 3.06g Northwoods knocking around now as you have guessed the 800FSB models are more common these days, you may find one on ebay, newegg, pricewatch or some online retailers who may have stock left, but it maybe time to upgrade to AMD or a newer INTEL?

If you post the rest of your hardware specs then we maybe able to taylor a new pc around those but these days when upgrading from an older PC you generally need alot more than just a new Mobo or CPU, you need a PCI GFX card, new memory, SATA HDs and bigger PSU to power all of it.

13. Rikky

I know only joking :) ,dito,how much you want to spend on the upgrade will also be helpful.

14. DavidGP

:) ... as for my upgrade its not really an upgrade I just want a cheap-ish laptop and the best I have seen around without looking too hard is a HP6000 with a 3000+ Semperon which will do for my needs.

stil would like to hear yours and others suggestions to jackabyte as to what spec'd AMD to go for.. I do think we would need to hear from jackabyte as to what HW he has already that can be utilized and how much he's willing to spend?

15. jackabyte

jackabyte Private E-2

my system is window's 2000 xp sp2,1gb of ram,geforce fx 5200.i am upgradeing to a geforce 6800 gt,and i have £300 to £400 on a new mobo and processer.as to rogvalcox to complain about my post after reading your's kind of defeat's the purpose,and ricky asking what is the sytem to upgrade to is asking for help as i explained in my first post i am a total noob when it comes to computers,and it is my first time on any forums.if i am doing anything wrong then i am sorry but surely there's a better way of telling me rather than resulting to takeing the p#ss.there is people here helping me which i would like to thank......peace.

16. Rikky

Jakabyte I havnt taken mick out of you?,my and post was deleted because I gave my opinions without explaining why I prefer AMD,i.e I didnt back up my opinion with reasons or data,not because your posts wernt good enough. :) I have given you a link as to why I prefer AMD,it shows clear data that AMD Nforce motherboards along with an A64 cpu are better performers when it come to gaming,if you used your computer for for encoding media such as mp3's and dvd's,I would recommend an Intel cpu and motherboard as they are faster at encoding. ;)

http://www.tomshardware.com/cpu/20041221/cpu_charts-18.html

I assume you have the money to one side for your 6800,so with that £400 you will have to buy a mobo"motherboard",psu"power supply unit"you will see those abbriviations alot here.The 6800 is a power hungry card,an a64 will also require feeding.The new video card standard has moved away from agp x8"the old socket it fits into",to pci-express"the new socket",you will want a mobo with this port as it is alot faster than the old agp,the two are not compatible at all.

This is what I would buy with £400

http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/ProductInfo.asp?WebProductID=152503

Here is a review

http://www.hexus.net/content/reviews/review_print.php?dXJsX3Jldmlld19JRD0xMjU1

Its a 939 cpu,that is the number of pins on the bottom,to go with it you want a 939 mobo,most new mobo's have fsb of 2ghz using hyperthreading,although in reality it doesnt have the performance of 2 ghz,the new name for the chipset is nforce4,they have 2 pci-e ports for 2 video cards,if you buy 2 identical pci-e vid cards you can run them at the same time in something called sli"scan line interleave",which theoretically doubles the performance,again though in reality only in games that support it,you may not want to buy 2 cards now but it will be there if you decide to buy another vid card in the future.

Not much seperates the nforce 4 mobos but I'v heard alot of good things about the abit"fatality"there are boards with more features but they are specifically targeting gamers with excellent cooling,overclocking and performance,you may not be an overclocker now"a way of making your board go faster,like tuning an engine,but the option will be there if you decide to in the future

http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/ProductInfo.asp?WebProductID=213551

Heres a review

http://www.hexus.net/content/reviews/review.php?dXJsX3Jldmlld19JRD0xMzE1

To power all this you also need a good psu,here is an article explaining why and what to look out for

http://www.silentpcreview.com/article28-page3.html

At the moment I love the tagan and enermax psu's,you will need a good one to power this system,strong stable current is most important when choosing,wattage means very little.

http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/ProductInfo.asp?WebProductID=179312

This psu is especially made for sli boards,here is a review

http://www.moddin.net/review.asp?ReviewID=181&PageNo=0

These new boards also make use of something called dual channel memory,if you use two identical sticks of memory you can use them in dual channel mode,about %5 memory performance increase,they come in packs-

http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/ProductInfo.asp?WebProductID=118550

If I'v over simplified anything I apologize,if you have question with anything just holla.

Halo had said but welcome to MG. :)

17. jackabyte

jackabyte Private E-2

thnx rikky your links are a great help :) it's all a bit hard for a noob but made a little easier with yourself and halo's help.....peace..thnx :D

18. Rikky

No problem ;) If you would like more help when purchasing your parts cut and paste the links to your next post from the web address box at the top of the screen when you have come to a decision members love helping people shop,especially me ;)As you can see I'm a bit of an AMD fan boy AT THE MOMENT,but I'd still like to help you look for an intel board if thats what you want ;)

19. DavidGP

20. Rikky

The mobo was the only thing I couldnt decide on theres so little between them,this year its seems all the mobo manufacturers have got there act together and brought out great products,obviously because they know everyone will be buying the new pci-e mobo's for thier sli systems and they all want a peice of the pie,I would honestly recommend most of the main manufacturers mobo's they are jam packed with features,you really get so much more for your money than a few years ago :)

First thing I saw on that mobo was that heatpipe thingy,it must be cold it has a snow flake on it.bbbrrr I'd have one.

:)

21. Rikky

My nforce 3 neo 2 platinum still gives them a real good run for their money in viperlairs review. ;)t-break has it as the best n-force 4 mobo they have tested,first time I'v seen one of thier reviews so I'll keep an open mind for the time being. :cool:

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds