Chkdsk errors,little help

Discussion in 'Software' started by Norby, Dec 15, 2005.

1. Norby

Norby Private First Class

I just ran chkdsk from Run and it found no errors also ran chkdsk in a safe mode with no errors. But when I run in from Command Prompt I get things about Spysweeper Webroot "tmp entry not valid" and it telling me there's a problem do you want to fix. So I put in the Y to confirm to fix and it does. But when I run chkdsk in command prompt again I get the same messages. I'm attaching the a jpg. of the command prompt window,has anyone ever seen this or know what's going on.
    I'm running XP Pro Sp2 and my system is clean and runs very good.

Attached Files:

2. Norby

I think these tmp files from webroot are my defination.

3. theefool

theefool Geekified

From the error box, it states that you should run:

chkdsk /f (to fix this issue). Have you done this?

Personally, I'd run the following from the cmd prompt:

chkdsk /r c: (press enter)

Select yes for reboot.....

4. Insomniac

Insomniac Billy Ray Cyrus #1 Fan

Silly question, why don't you just delete all the temp files?

You can use something like CCleaner.

5. theefool

theefool Geekified

Good answer. Didn't double check the path name to realize it was in the temp directory.

Also, it can't hurt to run my suggestion.

6. Norby

Hi,I have ran chkdsk /f as well as chkdsk /r and also ran CCleaner and still the same thing. I also went into the fold that is storing the temp files I was talking about and you cannot delete them. It tells me that another program is using them,if you go into safe mode and view that file,it is empty ( strange )I'm pretty sure these are the Spy Sweeper Definations. They are located in "C:\Documents and Settings\LocalService\Application Data\Webroot\Spy Sweeper\temp".
    My System is running very good,I keep up with all my windows updates and have all the right protection I need for all the nastys out there ( Thanks to Major Geeks ).

7. Insomniac

Insomniac Billy Ray Cyrus #1 Fan

I don't use SpySweeper anymore, but can't you delete them via the program? (Clear it's cache or backups or whatever?)

Or you could try shutting down SpySweeper and deleting them, or deleting them in Safe Mode.

If not, delete them using something like POCKET KILLBOX.

8. Norby

Thanks guys,well I just uninstalled Spy Sweeper and those tmp files disappeared. Then I ran chkdsk and they were gone,then I reinstalled Spy Sweeper and ( you guessed it ) there back. For now I won't worry about it,my system is running very good ( knock on wood ). Thanks again.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds