Chkdsk Index Error / Windows Sens Failure

Discussion in 'Software' started by m_thomp, Jul 18, 2017.

1. m_thomp

m_thomp Private E-2

Hi All,

I own an Acer Aspire 5951G, and I've run into a really annoying problem that I can't resolve. I'm really hoping it's a simple fix, but I've tried (in vain) to get it sorted and I'm running into the proverbial 'brick wall'. Firstly, I am a bit of a computer simpleton, so any straightforward/obvious fixes or solutions will not have been tried.

The problem:

A while back, I was logging off my computer for the evening when Windows wanted to perform an unprecedented number of updates, it was something like about 38. It was late, so I did a manual power-down. This, I think, started my problems.

The next time on boot up, having by-passed the CHKDSK stage, Windows 7 would take longer than average to start up. Once on the desktop page, the start-up task bar will look different, like it's in Safe Mode. Also a pop-up would appear stating, "Failed to connect to a Windows Service. Windows could not connect to the System Event Notification Service service. The roblem prevents standard users from logging on to the system. As an administrative user, you can review the System Event Log for details about why the system didn't respond."

Also, when prompted for a Windows update, one update (the quarterly monthly security roll-up summary KB4022719) would always fail.

Now, I haven't noticed anything too out-of-the-ordinary, in terms of performance, except it's affecting the screen display, which is very noticeable when using VLC media player to play videos (it creates a line across the screen image that resembles adjusting the tracking on a VCR).

My first response was to restart the computer, allowing the CHKDSK to run. However, this would get to stage 2 of 3 and when verifying indexes, it would repeat the following message ten times before freezing: "Correcting error in index $I30 for file 120685"

Upon this, I would do a hard shutdown, and start again, by-passing the CHKDSK stage. Windows would start up again and sometimes I would get lucky and Windows would start normally, but, more often than not the same System Event Notification Service failure would appear. I'd say 20% of the time Windows (Windows 7) would start normally. When it does start normally, all the display problems go away.

I did some internet searches to resolve the problem and, largely, they have only temporarily fixed the problem. One solution involved using tweaking.com's Windows repair software, albeit the fix only required about 4 of the Windiws Repair fix area options to be run, so wasn't a complete repair by any means.

Having grown impatient of trying to resolve the problem, I thought that if I installed Windows 10, it might correct all the problems I've been experiencing. It installed, then powered down, booted back up and was doing an Windows 10 update / config search prior to starting. It got to about 4% of the way through this when I accidentally fell asleep. When I woke, it was in the midst of a run through the CHKDSK process again. It failed at exactly the same stage, with the same messages as mentioned previously. I performed a hard shutdown, bypassing the CHKDSK stage on the restart. When Windows restarted, to my surprise, it was Windows 7, rather than Windows 10 that started. The same System Event Notification Service failure message occured. Also, in the Windows Update dialogue box, there was an error saying that "Windows 10 couldn't be installed. Error found 8007025D-200C".

If anyone can provide some guidance or assistance in getting this resolved, I would be most grateful.

Many thanks,

Mark

2. Eldon

Eldon Major Geek Extraordinaire

3. m_thomp

m_thomp Private E-2

Firstly, thanks Eldon for the link and your general support.

I followed the instructions, having managed to get to Windows without the SENS failure occurring. I ran the "sfc /scannow" check and, following validation, it stated "Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files and successfully repaired them. Details are included in the CBS.Log windir\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. For example C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log." followed by a statement that the repairs will take effect after the next reboot.

So I restarted. The restart prompted another round of CHKDSK, which I skipped for fear it would just produce the same "Correcting error in index $I30 for file 120685" error message. I let it run through to the Windows desktop, and there was no SENS error message. So far, so good.

It's early days yet, I know not to count my chickens, as I might just be on a lucky streak of logging on without error. I also tried to install the Windows updates and it failed on the "2017-07 Security Monthly Quality Rollup for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB4025341)" update. This is the same update that has been failing consistently over the past month-or-so.

4. m_thomp

m_thomp Private E-2

Quick update: I restarted the machine and let the CHKDSK process run. It failed in the same manner as before - 72% of the way through Stage 2 of 3 (Verifying the indexes), repeating the "Correcting error in index $I30 for file 120685" before freezing.

On a more positive note, I think the SENS failure issue has cleared.

5. Eldon

With chkdsk continuing to fail (freeze) at startup, try running it from the command prompt with admin rights, and use the /r switch.
    Have a look a this and scroll down to How to Use the ChkDsk Command at the Command Prompt.
    https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/guide-to-using-check-disk-in-windows-vista/
    You'll be promted to restart - it might fail/freeze again.

Then you must check the disk with CrystalDiskInfo.
    http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/crystaldiskinfo.html

Here are tools for different brands of disks.
    http://www.majorgeeks.com/mg/sortname/hard_disk_drive_(hdd)_tools.html

6. m_thomp

m_thomp Private E-2

Hi Eldon - thanks for the tips. I have been trying to apply them as best as I can. Here's what's been happening...

1) I ran the /r switch , it required a restart to fix the problems identified. As predicted, as soon as I restart the chkdsk process starts by default. There was a difference though, the progress stated that there were 5 stages as opposed to usual 3. However, it fell over at the exact same point for exactly the same reason - repeating the "Correcting error in index $I30 for file 120685"

2) I then downloaded CrystalDiskInfo. I'm not entirely sure how to run it. It seemed to complete all its processing upon opening. Is it just a HDD identification tool?

3) I looked at all the disk tools. To be honest, because I'm not great on the technical side of things, I didn't really know what I was looking for. So I did a search on the page for tools that had the words "fix" or "repair" in the description (not entirely scientific, I know!) I downloaded and ran DiskCheck, which seemed to be going well, but then it stated that after it found the problem areas on the disk, that it needed to restart and run chkdsk to fix them. This is a no-no as I would probably be caught in the vicious cycle of chkdsk freezing and therefore being unable to fix.

With that in mind, I wanted something that could fix the drive without needing chkdsk. I'm currently running DiskFresh which seems to suggest that it scans and fixes at the same time.

I'll let you know how I get on...

7. m_thomp

m_thomp Private E-2

So, DiskFresh has completed it's scan and fix. This was an overnight process. Upon reboot it hit chkdsk again, and failed/froze at the same point and for the same reason. On a more positive note, the chkdsk process was much quicker than before.

I think I'm running out of options now. It may be that I just have to live with skipping the chkdsk process, or see if I can restore Windows back to how it was from an earlier recovery point.

On another point, my Windows Updates, particularly for the Monthly Security Roll-Ups, are constantly, and consistently, failing. I'm beginning to think this could be some malware (I base this on having no background knowledge whatsoever), although I'm not seeing any obvious performance issues.

8. Eldon

9. m_thomp

m_thomp Private E-2

No problem, Eldon.

I ran the HDD Scan and the output of the SMART test gave the green traffic lights against every criteria (which I can only think is a good thing).

Interestingly, after last night's overnight scan with FreashScan, the SENS problem emerged again for the first time in a few days. It disappeared after a reboot.

10. Eldon

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds