CHKDSK long list of problems & corrupt windows files

Discussion in 'Software' started by collinsl, Jun 27, 2009.

1. collinsl

collinsl MajorGeek

Hi all,

CHKDSK has recently provided a long list of problems that it has fixed, and some drivers and windows components have recently become corrupted. I have managed to fix the driver problems, but the corrupt components are still around.

Laptop is Dell XPS M1530. OS is Windows 7 RC build 7100.

Does anyone have any idea what could have caused this?
    Thanks,

2. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

What causes file corruption? That's a heckuva question. Since I had my own thoughts on why things get corrupted through no fault of the users, I Googled it. It turns out that my thoughts were pretty much spot on. Check out this article on the how's and why's and what's of file corruption. Anyway- I'd run a hard drive diagnostic. All the main hard drive makers (except for Toshiba) have free diagnostic tool downloads. Generally speaking, they're bootable and easy to use, and you'd run the extended or advanced tests. If you have trouble finding the correct diagnostic, post the drive manufacturer here and we'll try to advise....

3. collinsl

collinsl MajorGeek

Hello dlb,

Thanks for the link. It is a bit short, however, as you need to subscribe to see it in full.

As for the HDD diagnostics, the lappy is about 5-6 months old, and has never been treated roughly or had any other problems like this (AFAIK, and I have been the only user). It is also not reporting ant S.M.A.R.T problems.

I will run a diagnostic to make sure, though.

I have also just noticed that Windows 7 reports that the drive does not support write caching. I would assume that it should, and at this stage, I am not sure if it is a windows 7 or hardware problem.

I will report back on both counts later.

Thanks,

4. collinsl

collinsl MajorGeek

Hi,

Just checked the things out.

1. Windows Vista is also reporting that the drive does not support write caching. I now suspect this to be either a problem with the drive itself, or this is due to the Intel storage manager on the lappy. Which brings me on to #2...

2. I've just tried a diagnostic from the ultimate boot CD, namely Western Digital (the drive maker) V4.11 (V5.04 was available, but would not run). V4.11 reports that no drive could be found, and I am chalking this up to the Intel storage manager.

I am now going to contact Dell to resolve #1, and possibly #2.

Thanks,

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds