CHKDSK not working

Discussion in 'Software' started by gofergal, Jan 6, 2012.

1. gofergal

gofergal Private First Class

Hi,
    I am trying to help a friend on their computer. She said her email was not working and I discovered Windows Live has a corrupt file. We get an error on boot that says we need to run CHKDSK but we are not able to do so. I tried having it run on startup and it gave me a "volume" error. Another time I tried to run it.. it said it could not complete in read only mode. Go figure that one out!

I tried uninstalling WLEssentials and it would not complete the process. I ran the repair and it said it was finished but I get an error saying "Windows Live Mail could not be started. It may not be installed correctly. Make sure that your disk is not full or that you are not out of memory. (0x80041161)"
    When I try and run CHKDSK as admin..it goes so far before giving me an error about

I decided to try a system restore.... and it said we had to CHKDSK first... but it kicked us out again. Windows has detected file system corruption on HP (C) You must check the disk for errors before it can be restored." So, when I click Check the disk for errors link.... it gives me THIS error: "Windows can't check the disk while it's in use. Do you want to check for hard disk errors the next time you start your computer?"
    And the loop goes right on.
    Any suggestions as to how to get this thing fixed?
    Thanks

2. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

XP, Vista or 7?

3. gofergal

gofergal Private First Class

Ok sorry I havent been back. she is running Windows 7.
    Thanks,

4. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds