Chkdsk Taking Unusually Long

Discussion in 'Software' started by cc4305, Apr 21, 2006.

1. cc4305

cc4305 Private E-2

Is this a hardware problem? POST is fine.

2. theefool

theefool Geekified

What operating system? Does chkdsk run every time? When chkdsk runs, does it find problems? How large is your hard drive, and how much data do you have?

3. cc4305

cc4305 Private E-2

XP home. Runs everytime. Dunno if it's found problems. Been running for about 4 hours now. Drive is only 80G and only about half full. Oh and after 4 hours it's at 58%. I do these all the time on larger hard drives. Never anywhere near this long.

4. theefool

theefool Geekified

5. cc4305

cc4305 Private E-2

Nah. Has nothing to do with a scanner. But thanks a lot anyway. I think it might just be the stupid hard drive.

6. theefool

theefool Geekified

A quick question. Does the chkdsk start when you SHUTDOWN the computer. Then start it back up. OR....does it happen when you reboot the computer?

7. theefool

theefool Geekified

In addition. The following may or may not work.

Also, this is some of my own home remedy for this situation.

Click START, then RUN, type in regedit (press enter)

Navigate to the following KEY (on the left):

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager

On the Right under BootExecute. You should ONLY have: autocheck autochk * as an entry.

If not, REMOVE everything there, and add in ONLY "autocheck autochk *"

without the quotes.

This should prevent you from having this issue.

BUT MAKE SURE THAT THIS IS CORRECT! Messing around in the registry is risky. I've been personally working with the registry since NT4 days and I'm still learning. :)

8. theefool

theefool Geekified

Or, download, and rename test.txt to test.reg and double click on test.reg to apply this "fix".

No gaurantee that this will fix your issue. This is merely a test. Or should I say, you are my rat, in my maze test. :)

Attached Files:

• test.txt
      File size:
      714 bytes
      Views:
  9. cc4305

cc4305 Private E-2

CHKDSK never starts. Sorry, I didn't mention that it's the repair version of CHKDSK. The reason I'm in there in the first place is because XP takes literally half-hour to boot up on normal mode and about 5 minutes to boot in safe mode. I slaved the drive and ran a virus scan on it. Damn thing took all night. It seems like it's having trouble accessing files. Would it be safe to assume that it's the HDD?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds