Choose a video card!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by trespasser1234, Mar 11, 2005.

1. trespasser1234

trespasser1234 Private E-2

Hi all.

I am buliding a new server/database system that will also double as my secondary gaming machine (located at work :) ). My question to all of you is, which vid card woudl you run, a Geforce 3 Ti200, or a Geforce FX 5200?? I know it sounds like a landslide for the FX, but in my experience, The cheapo of the newer gen doesnt touch the high end of the older gen, ya know? FX 5200 is a very low end card and it started that way, the 3 Ti200 was pretty high end, which would you choose? BTW I will be playing World of Warcraft. Thanks for the input.

2. ~Pyrate~

~Pyrate~ MajorGeek

why not try them both out to see which one works best?

3. da chicken

da chicken MajorGeek

No offense, but this seriously hurts my head. Don't risk data integrity and server stability so you can get 10 more fps.

4. robdude

robdude Private E-2

i'm sure the fx5200 is pretty stable some of the g3 ti's were buggy

5. Paradox

Paradox Private E-2

The FX.

6. Wyatt_Earp

Wyatt_Earp MajorGeek

Also, the GF3 is two generations behind the FX.

P.S. - I agree with Da Chicken, why are you gaming at work? I'm guessing they don't want you to use their hardware to play games.

7. robdude

robdude Private E-2

naughty naughty a gamer at work eh he'll get more than new vid cards if his boss finds out unless he is the boss :rolleyes:

8. robdude

robdude Private E-2

i've always used fx not to put down ati thou and never had any problems both ati and nividia are sound gaming cards .
    Depends on your mix of hardware and some cards work better or are more compaterble with games than others .
    Give them both a go but for my money the fx althou a budget card is probably more compaterble with dx9(c)than the g3ti good luck anyway dude and dont get caught by your boss :cool:

9. trespasser1234

trespasser1234 Private E-2

Thanks all for the input. I tried the FX first and it was pretty tight, I threw in the Ti and it wasnt horribly differnt, about 5-15 FPS slower, so I definatly went with the FX. Oh, and to the curious about me gaming at work, I am the assistant IT director for NADS (National Advanced Driving Simulator) and our IT dept. consists of myself and one other guy. It is spectacular, a little downtime here and there translates into leveling up time. Anyway, thanks again for the info

10. robdude

robdude Private E-2

cool i hope you have great gaming downtime.
    goodluck
    rob uk gamer

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds