Choosing RAM -How do I avoid inferior models

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by spades, Jan 26, 2010.

1. spades

spades Private E-2

Hi all,

I'm looking to buy some RAM and I see some really cheap ones. How do I know what's crap and what's not? Is it purely a brand thing?

Cheers,

2. Mimsy

Mimsy Superior Imperial Queen of the MG Games Forum

A large part of it is how established the brand is. Not all RAM is created equal, and the big-name ones got to where they are for a reason. Generally speaking, anyone who offers you a limited life-time warranty and tech support at no charge is probably going to sell you a quality product.

What are you looking at so far? Links?

3. gman863

gman863 MajorGeek

I agree with Mimsy on sticking with the better known name brands. Two other things to consider:

* Customer reviews at online retailers including Newegg.com and TigerDirect.com are great for sorting out the good from the bad. The reviews may also include tips on PCs or motherboards that have compatibility issues with the specific memory you're considering.

* Does the retailer offer have a decent return or exchange policy if the memory you buy is defective or doesn't play nice with your system? I'd rather spend a few extra bucks buying from a company who will take it back within a reasonable period of time (14-30 days) if the memory doesn't work.

4. Spad

Spad MajorGeek

Mimsy is the go-to gal for RAM information - I'd take what she says to heart. :)

Personally, I have had pretty good luck with Samsung RAM chips, or re-branded memory that uses Samsung chips . . . I generally choose them if I can when planning a new build. I've yet to have a failure, or find a motherboard that will not accept them.

5. spades

spades Private E-2

Cheers guys,

I'll read some reviews on Newegg etc. b4 choosing.

6. thesmokingun

thesmokingun MajorGeek

not all low-priced ram is cheap either. I've had good experiences with kingston's value ram (kingston is a reputable brand) and also G-Skill (kinda low priced gaming ram) .

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds