Choppy and lagging video playback after fresh windows install on new HD

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by anybody1123, Mar 16, 2008.

1. anybody1123

anybody1123 Private E-2

Im not sure if im putting this in the right section.. so sorry if its in the wrong one .. ive also posted this on 2 other forums with no resolution to the problem!! hopefully you guys can help!? I know its pretty long but Im trying to be as informative as possible..

So this is the problem.. I recently had to buy a new hard drive because the old hard drive decided to go corrupt on me. Before this happened everything was fine.. videos played perfect even at full screen. But ever since this happened I cant play any video bigger than its original size or it will playback choppy , the audio gets ahead of the video (sometimes the video gets stuck in one spot) and it gets worse when i put it full screen.. it looks like im playing a video with a low bit rate ( i have noticed that it seems like it plays a frame.. then you catch a glimpse of a black screen then the next frame over and over as if it cant keep up with the frame rate or something.... I seem to have this problem regardless of the video type.. ( the problem persists regardless if the videos are on the HD or on the internet) I cant even watch YouTube videos without some choppy playback
    On the old hard drive I had Media Player Classic for all the codecs so i decided to download this again hoping it would solve my problem.. with no luck. I tried at least 5 different media players but its apparent that the players arent the problem.. I dont know what else to try..

I dont know if this helps or makes any difference but I do notice that when the video is playing.. the CPU usage is stuck at 100% on the 1st comp.. yet on the 2nd comp its somewhere between 60-80%

These are the specs on the computer im trying to play the videos on:
    Dell Optiplex GX110
    Windows XP Home SP2
    P3 1.00GHZ
    384MB RAM
    Western Digital 320GB EIDE HD
    Integrated Graphics ( Intel 82810E)
    anything else you need to know let me know..

I dont think its a problem with the computer speed since they played fine before i had to get a new hard drive and i couldnt say its the hard drive because i have a 2nd computer on the network that can play these same video files from the 1st computers hard drive perfectly with no problem.. and its an older computer .. P2 350MHZ!

I have noticed this though.. On the 1st comp.. when im playing the file with media player classic.. if i goto the ffdshow video decoder properties .. i noticed a difference compared to the 2nd comp. on this one, one of the options is jus Video Renderer as where Comp 2 this option is known as Video Mixing Renderer.. and if i goto this on Comp 1 .. on the deinterlace tab theres a little information area and it says
    VMR Input 0
    Video Description : "Pin Disconnected of Invalid Media Type"

where as on the 2nd comp it has an actual value .. for example for the video im currently playing it shows
    Video Description : 704x396 47.95 HZ

I dont know if this has something to do with it but i ran (i think it was HWinfo) and it came back saying something about VGA being disabled.. but i never disabled this? maybe its time to get a actual graphics card instead of relying on the integrated crap?

2. kestrel1

kestrel1 Private E-2

Never rely on the integrated graphics chips, always go for an AGP card if possible or PCI-E if your mobo is new enough. AGP is probably your best option unless the mobo does not have an AGP slot, then you are stuck with PCI (not good & you would be lucky to get hold of one these days.
    Is your hard drive the only drive on the IDE channel or do you have another drive in the chain (CD or HDD)
    The channel will run at a lower speed if the second drive if not as fast as your new one, so your new drive will not be working to its best.
    Can you allocate more RAM to your integrated graphics in the BIOS? this may help.
    Try stopping anything else running in the background as well.
    This isn't the fastest of machines, so will struggle with anything else running in the background.

3. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

The CPU should not be running at over 15%, ever, unless you're doing some gaming, or graphic rendering or convert video formats. Playback of video shouldn't require over 60% CPU resources as reported. Or maybe it does on a P3 with 384mb RAM. First thing I'd do is check your startup list and turn off just about everything and reboot. Then download and install the newest drivers for your chipset and for your video. If playing video from a CD/DVD make sure the drive is clean (use a lens cleaner) and make sure the discs are clean and not scratched too badly, and make sure that the drive speed is OK. If you have fluctuating CD drive speeds, you'll get all kinds of weirdness. Make sure your PC is clean of viruses and malware. Perform some basic maintenance (clean junk files, defrag, etc). You also mentioned that you have tried several media players. Personally, I would remove all the media players and codec packs. Then get ONE complet pack and one (maybe two) different media players. I like the KLite Mega Pack. It has Media Player Classic built-in; I also use VLC media player. You may have some conflicting codecs, or mutliple decoders installed for one standard (like if you had 3 different DivX codecs installed; they might 'fight' with each other). Try all this and let us know what happens. Here some links:
    KLite Mega Pack http://www.majorgeeks.com/K-Lite_Mega_Codec_Pack_d5230.html
    KLite Codec Tweak Tool (scan for 'broken' codecs and repair/remove them) http://www.majorgeeks.com/K-Lite_Codec_Tweak_Tool_d5738.html
    VLC http://www.majorgeeks.com/VLC_media_player_d4674.html
    Codec Installer (displays all installed codecs; enable/disable codecs) http://www.majorgeeks.com/CodecInstaller_d4925.html
    Nero Info Tool (display CD/DVD drive info) http://www.majorgeeks.com/Nero_InfoTool_d120.html
    Nero CD Speed Checker http://www.majorgeeks.com/Nero_CD-DVD_Speed_d118.html
    Nero DVD Speed Checker http://www.majorgeeks.com/Nero_DVD_Speed_d119.html
    Good luck!

4. anybody1123

anybody1123 Private E-2

well seems i got it to work again...
    i DO feel stupid now.. all i did was lower the refresh rate on the monitor from 85 to 75hz and now it works perfectly fine again.. weird since i could almost Swear it was one of the first things i tried but oh well at least it works.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds