choppy...skipping...messed up sound...possibly Java update?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by lbj23, May 16, 2008.

1. lbj23

lbj23 Private E-2

MY computer details :

Windows XP
    Home Edition
    Version 2002
    Service Pack 2

Intel Pentium II processor
    397 MHz, 320 of RAM

Creative SBLive! Value soundcard

Ok, i've had my computer for alomst 3 years now and i've never had any sound problems but about 4 days ago after i downloaded a new Java update, my sound started to be choppy and stuttery (i know thats not a real word, but you know what i mean lol). I have already uninstalled that update and even uninstalled Java as a whole but im still encountering these sound problems. It happens whenever i play any audio. I don't play any games or anything like that on my computer either so i really don't know whats causing this probem. It will play with no problems for a couple of seconds and then all of a sudden it messes up and starts to sound choppy and stuttery. Afterwards, my computer also starts to run slow, like in slow motion for random times. Does anyone know what the problem could possibly be?

2. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

Something is not 'releasing' system resources when playing music or sounds. Considering how old and slow your processor is, I'm surprised that you are just now experiencing problems (that might sound like I'm trying to be mean, but I'm not. Not everyone has the $$$ to invest in new PCs). First thing I'd do is check your system resources (CPU activity and memory usage) when the sound is skipping. You can do this with either the built-in Windows task manager (Ctrl+Alt+Del) or by using a 3rd party utility that will probably supply much more detailed info. Use it to see if there's a particular "runaway" process or two or three. If that doesn't shed any light on the situation, try uninstalling the sound driver, then reboot the PC, and reload the sound driver. Be sure you write down the make and model of the sound card and driver before you uninstall it and make sure it's available for download, then download it and burn it to CD to be sure that you have it. Sometimes it's a good idea to download 2 or 3 different drivers just be on the safe side. Anyway- uninstall the sound driver, reboot, reinstall the sound driver, and reboot again before testing it.... Here's a link to a great system monitoring utility for RAM, CPU, and just about anything else you can think of:
    CS Fire Monitor (yup, it's free ;) ) http://www.majorgeeks.com/CS_Fire_Monitor_d4243.html

Good luck! I hope this helps!
    :major
    [dlb]

Keep us posted.

3. lbj23

lbj23 Private E-2

Yeah, suprisingly this is my first time having sound problems. I've had video problems lol but not sound problems. I just checked the cpu activity and it ranges from 100 to 85 when i play music. The memory usage is around 150 out of 320 when i play music. I have already uninstalled and re-installed my sound driver too. I guess i should of said that in my first post. The problem is still occurring though. Could it be anything else?

4. lexblueguy

lexblueguy Private E-2

I am having the same problem. My sound and video problems (choppy, skipping, slo-motion) started after my norton anti-virus scan said it found a virus (trojan.byte.verify)and corrected it. It was in java. After that any videos or music would start to mess up. I am also using Windows XP Home Edition; Version 2002; SP2, Sony VAIO; Intel Pentium 1.73GHz, 504MB of RAM; 33.5GB of free space. When this starts to happen my CPU activity jumps up to 75 to 99. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

5. Penny19571957

Penny19571957 Private E-2

I have a brand new pc running vista, downloaded nero 7 and have not recorded one cd yet that does not have choppy sound and video when I put in my jvc 3 drawer karaoke player......what the heck...so aggravated

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds