Choppy video & sound problem...

Discussion in 'Software' started by rrdjfan777, Dec 18, 2012.

1. rrdjfan777

rrdjfan777 Private E-2

So functionality wise my computer works normally. But when it comes to playing a video online or a video playing on the desktop say, or saved to my computer I suppose would be a better way of putting it...the video is choppy and audio is crackling, distorted.

Got a windows xp, dell labtop. 32 bit. All windows updates been installed. Defraged & did disk cleanup. Don`t think its virus related. Thought the video card had to be updated, which mine is ATI Radeon Xpress 1150. (I have no idea where to find it by the way! computer couldn`t find it, so need to find it on internet somewhere)

Haven`t updated the driver in ages, so could updating it correctly fix my problem you think? I don`t think the soundcard has just gone bad either. Thoughts?

Tried system restore a couple times, didn`t work for some reason as well. Please help!

System:
    Microsoft windows xp
    home edition
    version 2002
    service pack 3

computer:
    mobile AMD sempron(tm)
    processor 3600+
    1.99GHz, 896MB of RAM

2. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

I suspect you do not have a video card but rather a video chip on the motherboard. You probably have 1GB of RAM installed but the video chip is "sharing" 104MB of that - seems like a strange amount to share.

What is the brand and exact model of your computer? You should get the proper updated drivers from the manufacturer of the computer and not the videi card manufacturer.

If on the other hand, you did install a dedicated card and the computer is not seeing it, something is wrong with the video card.

3. Caliban

Caliban I don't need no steenkin' title!

4. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Thanks caliban. I hate when people post the same problem in more than one place on MajorGeeks.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds