chosing hard drive on boot

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by eliko, Feb 7, 2008.

1. eliko

eliko Private E-2

Hi guys,
    Just joined this site.

I have 2 HD's on my PC, The original C: and another one as D: that was installed at a shop, after my pc was dead so I won't loose any data that I have in C:.
    The pc starts at D: But I can see that I have 2 os on 2 diferent HD's.
    Is there an easy way to change it to start on C: which is the bigger and less noisy?

Thanks.

2. mikkh

mikkh Private First Class

Basically NO, not without starting from scratch anyway

.... and without knowing the full story, I'd say avoid that shop in the future too

You should have ended up with your OS on C and D empty apart from saved data files

Maybe the original drive has a corrupt boot block, which is why the OS is on D - it's the only reason I can think of for installing on D, but if that was the case, the drives should have been swapped anyway.

Sounds like a bit of a bodged fix to me, but as I already said, I don't know the full story and you haven't explained it very well either.

Which OS('s) are we talking about?
    Where can you see two OS's ?

3. eliko

eliko Private E-2

Thanks for your reply,
    The C drive which is now the sedond drive works fine, I can access it with no problem, When I check the PC for windows App. using: RockXP, I can see XP on drive D, and XP pro on drive C, Which was the original OS and drive... Maybe it was just easier for them to install a new OS and HDD and charge me more.
    B.T.W. C is ntfs and D is fat32???

4. mcadam

mcadam Major Amnesia

Have you checked the jumper settings? Make sure the C drive has been set to master and the D drive set to slave.

5. eliko

eliko Private E-2

No I didn't,
    I'm tryng to avoid opening the pc.
    When I check under:My computer/properties/advanced/startup and recovery setings, in the drop window it shows as xp which is on D. if I pull down the drop window I can chose xp pro, this one is on C. there is an option to display the two OS at boot, I try that too, but I can't use the arrows on the keaboard until it boot by itself on D...

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds