Chrome browser acting up: cant open most sites (or images), 404 and yahoo error...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Layala, Dec 29, 2012.

1. Layala

Layala Private E-2

Hi all,

First off I'm not a computer expert so bear with me.
    This started a few days ago. I did not do anything except download torch a few days before that which didn't give me any problems.

I added and checked google chrome in firewall and I scanned my PC for viruses with the microsoft security essentials, it came clean. But these errors are still occurring. It take ages to open a site, most of which can't be opened anymore (which were completely fine before).

Along with images and ads not showing in the sites that open, the ones that don't open display 3 types of errors (so far):

1) Error 404

2)Not Found The requested URL was not found on this server.

3) yahoo search solutions "URL is not available".

Please help me, this is getting on my nerves and I am a bit of a computer idiot...Im using windows 7 btw...

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Re: Chrome browser acting up: cant open most sites (or images), 404 and yahoo error..

Hey and Welcome to the forum :)

First off is your Windows 7 at Service Pack 1? (kinda helps at times if other instructions are needed)

Do any other browsers work ok as in Firefox or Internet Explorer for you to connect to the internet?

What firewall are you using?

Nah we are all computer idiots so feel at home.......

3. Layala

Layala Private E-2

Re: Chrome browser acting up: cant open most sites (or images), 404 and yahoo error..

Hey david, thanks for the warm welcome :)

I had to google how to check for the service pack and yes, its service pack 1.
    No the other browsers are acting up as well.

As for the firewall, I'm not sure how to answer that :p windows i guess? lol

Hope you can help this fool out. :-D

4. DavidGP

Hi Layala

Sorry should have mentioned click the Service Pack link in my earlier post as that tells you what you are at and if there is a newer one, in your case not.

What is "torch" and if you can link to it that would be helpful.

What I would try to start with as you are getting internet connection as wouldn't be posting here (btw do adverts and images show on this forum site) is to do a little bit of PC cleaning and basically all we are going to do is to clean out your cookies and temp internet files.

I will stress by doing this any saved passwords for websites the browsers have saved will be removed so you will need to enter them again, so close all browsers and follow the below.

then do not change any of the settings, but click the Cleaner button on the left side if not already highlighted, then click Run Cleaner and do this twice.

then open a browser and see if you can view images/sites that did not work before (do give us a sample of a link that doesn't show up for you as that can give us some info on why, it could just be a Java or Flash plugin you need.

It could also be an add-on or toolbar you have installed that can cause this, so and using Internet Explorer we will disable all add-ons and see if one of those could be the issue, to do this click Start > All Programs > Accessories >System Tools, and then click Internet Explorer (No Add-ons) and see if you can open the sites that didn't work, if this works let us know and we can then narrow the cause down.

So we know what's in your start-ups like security software etc. can you run the below for us.

5. Layala

Layala Private E-2

Torch is a browser/torrent downloader :
    I just assumed it was famous and everyone knew it :p

The good news is that my browser is running smoothly now. I think it was after my modem rebooted itself when the power went off yesterday. Since then, so far so good.

But if it starts acting up again I'll be sure to come back to this very page.

Thank you so much david!! :major

6. DavidGP

Hi Layala

No not heard of that one before as on the Torch browser (cheers for the link I may test that one out at some point), then again their are so many based off Mozilla its hard to keep track of all of them, personally I run Mozilla Nightly as a browser as well as IE10.

Cheers for the update and indeed if you have issues again do let us know but we can really start and thing.. reboot modem as a 1st port of call, then think software or Windows if that reboot doesn't fix things.

:)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds