Chrome Freezes Every Few Seconds

Discussion in 'Software' started by cornflakes, Aug 10, 2016.

1. cornflakes

cornflakes Corporal

This happens after I log into facebook while using Chrome.
    I noticed that when I log into facebook, chrome starts to freeze intermittently every few seconds.
    It only freezes for about 3-5 seconds each time but it's annoying as heck. When I'm typing, scrolling,
    or trying to switch pages, it freezes and goes, freezes and goes.....

When I tried using FireFox, there was no issue. So it has something to do with Chrome/facebook.
    I ran malware scan, nothing found. I ran usbfix and combo fix and everything was fine. It also happened to me a few weeks ago and I tried some things like reset my chrome settings and deleted my chrome profile, and ran usbfix in safemode, and it seemed to work smoothly after that. But it just started again today. I did the same things (reset chrome settings, deleted my chrome profile, ran usbfix safemode) but now it's still freezing up whenever I log into facebook via Chrome.

Not sure if it has anything to do with flash, java, or some other program.....any ideas?

I'm running Windows 7, my Chrome version is the most recent (52 point something)

2. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

If you do actually have Java installed (not javascript but this: https://java.com/en/download/ ) then you don't need it at all, and it is worth doing a clean uninstall of it.
    If your Chrome browser is GOOGLE Chrome, Adobe Flash is installed by default and updated with each updated version of the browser. Other forms of Chrome require Flash to be installed separately and updated regularly and latest is 22.0.0.209.
    You could check if it is up to date and if enabled, disable it and see how FB runs.

3. satrow

satrow Major Geek Extraordinaire

4. cornflakes

cornflakes Corporal

I'm using malware antibytes. Everything on chrome seems to be up to date.....facebook still freezes intermittently whenever I log in there with google chrome......frustrating

5. satrow

Malwarebytes AntiMalware? Free or Premium?

Microsoft Security Essentials as your main antivirus, or another?

6. cornflakes

cornflakes Corporal

Premium......i think microsoft security essentials is running in my computer....is that the one that comes with windows? No other antivirus software that I use.

7. cornflakes

cornflakes Corporal

Do you think it's an issue with malware or a virus? Facebook does run smoothly and just fine when I use a different browser like FireFox. It's just on chrome for some reason it's freezing all the time.

8. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

It's Chrome related so not system wide.
    Follow the other suggestion and see if the uBlock Origin plug in/add on for Chrome results in different behaviour.

9. cornflakes

cornflakes Corporal

Thanks, yes I have uninstalled Java, and enabled that flash PPAPI in chrome plugin details...I'll give that origin plugin a try also

10. cornflakes

cornflakes Corporal

Hmmm so far 5 minutes in and facebook in chrome seems to be running without freezing up now....i'll update again after more testing

11. satrow

12. cornflakes

cornflakes Corporal

Well after a day, i found that it's still freezing up in chrome....not just in facebook but anywhere i go in the net.
    I added ublock origin, no difference. I decided to delete chrome and try to reinstall it. I'm using firefox now and it's working normally .....I don't really know what else to try....did memory test no problem, no virus or malware found with scans, hard drive is fine....

13. Trex™

Trex™ Private First Class

If you decide to try Chrome again, I would check your extensions. Sometimes an add-on will "sneak" it's way into the browser. I would have thought a clean uninstall and reinstall would've taken care of that, though. I'm not sure what the specs on your system are, but Facebook is one of those websites that will load a TON of images, ads, etc. into memory, and the farther you scroll down in your feed, the more that gets loaded. Still, it sounds like a frustrating issue... I'd probably try to monitor the system with the resource manager or something.

When you had Chrome installed, did you alter any of the default settings? Assuming this is even relevant at this point since you've decided to use a different browser without an issue. But just in case! haha

14. cornflakes

cornflakes Corporal

Hi, thanks for the replies. The only extensions I had on was youtube video blocker. It worked fine for a long time even after I had that add on and tampermonkey too. When I used chrome, I didn't alter default settings other than which homepage should be set to. I even reset settings to default and didn't help.

I've never had a problem with facebook before when it came to scrolling, loading lots of images, video etc.
    My system is windows 7 premium, amd phenom II x6 1070 T, 8GB DDR3 ram, biostar a880gu3 mobo....I do wonder if it might have something to do with my graphics card. I recently had issues with it when it came to hot temperature (over 90C....100-110C) until I put a manual fan behind my computer to aid it. It stays at 60-70C now with my manual fan turned on so there shouldn't be any stuttering now but there was back when the temp used to get up to 100-120C the computer would start to stutter and graphics would get choppy.

But since I put the extra fan there, it's been fine. The thing is, it doesn't lag when I play videos/movies, or if I'm doing anything else (photo editing which is intensive). It only starts to stutter or lag when I load facebook from Chrome.

I've been using firefox now the past day or two, and it seems better, but I actually still noticed some lag or wait times when I'm typing. It's not 100% smooth and quick response like it used to be. But again, my movies play fine and I can edit photos fine which tells me it shouldn't be an issue with my graphics card.

I uninstalled chrome, and rebooted the computer, and tried to reinstall it but now the chrome installer doesn't even load. I tried it many times, killing the process in task manager and trying to start up the installer again but after the introductory screen of asking me if I want to run the installer, it doesn't load up.

So now I can't even install Chrome. Strange?

15. cornflakes

cornflakes Corporal

Update, I installed and ran ccleaner and ccleaner was able to reinstall chrome for me too (as it was an add-on).
    All of a sudden everything is running smooth and fast again. No more freeze ups. I guess I just needed a good cleaning?

16. Trex™

Haha... wow, that is strange. I've seen this problem before working in technical support but I didn't really think it would have anything to do with temp files or anything. Chrome wouldn't even install until after running ccleaner, so I'm betting you ran the registry cleaner which would've cleared any linked .dll files, installer files, etc. In which case, I wonder if the issue related to ActiveX in any way. When you run the registry cleaner on ccleaner, it picks up any "ActiveX and Class issues" which would definitely affect browsing.

Sorry, lol... I just have an obsession with understanding and/or determining the cause, especially when the issue is resolved "mysteriously" or somewhat unexpectedly, I guess would be the better way to put it. Glad everything is running smooth for you again, though! I'll keep this in mind for a possible solution whenever I run into this issue elsewhere.

cornflakes likes this.
  17. cornflakes

cornflakes Corporal

Thanks, great information about the registry cleaner part and Active X. That seems to make a lot of sense! Yes, I ran the registry cleaner after the normal ccleaner scan. After that, I reboot the computer and since then, chrome or firefox has been running smooth like before (of course it feels like it's faster only because I got so used to it being so slow and laggy for a few days).

I wonder what this Active X thing is. I think I've had issues with that in the past. Could facebook have some sort of thing to do with this because that's where I notice my browser started to slow or freeze up every few seconds.

I'm always curious too to know what caused some issue and what fixed it. I try to keep my own personal records each time something was wrong and then resolved so I can keep it for future reference in case it happens again. I just jot it down in a notepad file. I'll probably be back with a different issue eventually.

18. satrow

ActiveX isn't supported by Chrome or Firefox without some effort, it's part of IE.

With a 1070, you shouldn't have any issues running Flash/browser with hardware acceleration but you might bump into some issues if you run an x64 browser and your graphics drivers are a little buggy.

Not sure what you mean by the above.

cornflakes likes this.
  19. Trex™

Ahhh poop, he's right. I forget that a lot of times until I get a customer calling in complaining about not being able to play Pogo games in Chrome... but yeah, Chrome has it's own built in flash player / activex controls. It might be worth a shot to check for any updated driver software for your graphics card, though, as satrow suggested. If you can navigate to the device manager and locate the display adapter, just right click and select the first option that says update driver software. Then click the top option to search automatically.

I'm not sure if your video card is AMD like your processor, but if it's Intel or Nvidia, I know for a fact Windows will pick up any available driver updates. I'm not 100% sure if it will do the same for AMD automatically, but it's worth a shot. Just to double check, you could visit the manufacturer's website to confirm the latest driver version. If there does happen to be an update, I'd take it as a good thing. I'll try to gracefully bow out of this one after a weak attempt at redemption from the ActiveX issue with Chrome... haha. Good luck!

cornflakes likes this.
  20. cornflakes

cornflakes Corporal

I think you were both helpful and onto something about it. It might have to do more with my graphics card which isn't a high end card... my original had to be replaced a couple years ago.

Oh what I meant by ccleaner being able to install chrome for me: before installing ccleaner, I had removed chrome. I downloaded chrome setup and tried to install it but it would not load. I rebooted and tried it again but chrome would not install still. Then when I downloaded ccleaner and installed it, it also asked me if I wanted to install chrome, and I said yes. It installed chrome successfully. Weird, but great!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds