Chrome preferences cannot be read.

Discussion in 'Software' started by peteschulte, May 27, 2013.

1. peteschulte

peteschulte Private E-2

Hello Major Geeks,
    I've searched the forums here and have not found a solution. My problem gets many links when I paste the error message into Google Search, but still no trusted solution for XP Home on my Dell 1600 laptop. The problem is not on my other computers.

Here are first the problem description, then a possible solution found by Google Search. I'm leery of it's consequences.

when I start Chrome, it opens a dialog that says "Your preferences cannot be read. Some features may be unavailable and changes to preferences won't be saved."

When I click OK, another dialog says "Your profile could not be opened correctly. Some features may be unavailable. Please check that the profile exists and you have permission to read and write its contents."

The previous dialog opens twice more before Chrome opens with a new tab. There a message invites me to sign in to Chrome. I can sign in.

One solution found through Google Search tells me to create a new user profile by renaming the Default folder to OldDefault. It's found at

%USERPROFILE&\Local Settings\Application Data\Google\Chrome\User Data

This solution includes a recommendation not to transfer anything from OldDefault, because the transfer might recreate the problem. Makes sense

Would you recommend renaming the Default folder? I fear that my laptop would be going to one Google Profile while my other computers would go to the old one. I don't know, maybe Chrome is smart enough to get my existing Profile from Google's servers.

Maybe you guys have an entirely different solution. I've learned to trust the advice of Major Geeks.

thanks again,
    pete schulte

2. peteschulte

peteschulte Private E-2

Guys,
    I did the above and it worked. Mods can delete this thread or save it.
    Thanks for being there, even if this time only to help my inner dialog move forward.
    Joy!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds