Cisco 2514 router

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Akiira, Dec 10, 2009.

1. Akiira

Akiira Private E-2

So i have a cisco router that i am trying to connect with via hyper terminal so i can practice for my cisco test. I have it connected with an RJ45 to DB9 cable. but no matter what i put into hyper terminal it wont connect. i know the default is suppose to be 9600 for speed, 8 for data bits, parity none, stop bits 1, flow control none, but it still wont work. I'm beginning to suspect i have the wrong cable. could anyone out there more knowledgeable help?

2. jconstan

jconstan MajorGeek

I believe you need a Null Modem type cable, but perhaps someone else can chime in.

3. KingSteve

KingSteve MajorGeek

There might be some additional drivers you need for that. i know i had to install a driver for mine to work.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2009
  4. Akiira

Akiira Private E-2

hmmm where might I get these drivers?

5. KingSteve

KingSteve MajorGeek

Im honestly not sure. the one i have is a usb to serial to rollover, and i had some disc for something else laying around with drivers that worked.

another thing to check is if youre using a rollover cable or using the right COM in hyperterminal.

6. foogoo

foogoo Major "foogoo" Geek

Are you using an ethernet cable or roll-over? I think it is a roll-over cable for the console connection.

7. Akiira

Akiira Private E-2

8. KingSteve

KingSteve MajorGeek

thats what i have, but i use one of these to connect that cable to.
    http://tinyurl.com/y9cpsz5

Im really not sure if youre even able to console into a router with only that cable... damn, thats something i should know. ive been studying for my ccna for a good 8 months.

9. Akiira

Akiira Private E-2

Im actually trying to study for my CCENT. I decided to just not bother with this and to use this cool network simulator program I found instead.

Thanks for anyone that tried to help.

10. djchrist

djchrist Private E-2

So you are connecting using a serial port on your laptop? Make sure you are using the correct COM port. Look in device manager under ports and it will tell you which COM port must be used. Then when you connect using hyperterminal select that COM port. I also use a USB to Serial adapter with a console cable cause my laptop does not have a serial port. Only issue I had was I had to go to the manufactuer for new drivers when I started using windows vista from XP. However, windows 7 installed the drivers automatically.

11. Serious Sam

Serious Sam Corporal

I use the same cable as the one the OP attached, it works on routers & switches, no drivers were necessry for me (XP Pro)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds