Clean Install XP- ACPI or "Standard"

Discussion in 'Software' started by davepicc, Aug 12, 2005.

1. davepicc

davepicc Private E-2

Hey Guys-
    Thanks for all your previous help and I figured a new hard drive and a clean install was the best route to go. I'm using my computer for audio recording and a lot of websites suggest installing XP with the default option if you have an APIC capable motherboard which I do. The problem is my brother already got the installation started in standard. Should I and is it easy to go back and re-install with the default option and if so how would I do that? My computer is almost at the end of installing XP from the DELL SP2 install CD so nothing has been touched yet as far as settings, internet connection, drivers, etc. I want to make sure I get this install right. Thanks again for all the help this board has given me.

Dave

Dell Dimension 8300
    Win XP SP2
    2 GB RAM
    320 GB Western Digital Caviar 3200JD

2. ASUS

ASUS MajorGeek

Here is a list of all the HAL's and what they are for:

• ACPI Multiprocessor PC
    Applies to a multiple-processor ACPI computer.
    • ACPI Uniprocessor PC
    Applies to an ACPI multiple-processor board but with a single processor installed.
    • Advanced Configuration and Power Interface (ACPI) PC
    Applies to a single processor motherboard with single processor.
    • Compaq SystemPro Multiprocessor or 100% Compatible
    Applies to a Compaq SystemPro computer.
    • MPS Uniprocessor PC
    Applies to non-ACPI computers dual processor motherboard with a single processor installed.
    • MPS Multiprocessor PC
    Applies to non-ACPI computers with a dual processor running.
    • Standard PC
    Applies to any Standard PC, non-ACPI, or non-MPS. The CPU may be a 386, a 486, a Pentium, a Pentium II, or a Pentium III.
    • Standard PC with C-Step i486
    • Other

You might be able to change in the Device Manager but is best to do during fresh install

3. ASUS

ASUS MajorGeek

Here's bit more Info, Bios settings, set these as you desire before the install of Windows

APIC Fuction:
    APIC Function

Common Options : Enabled, Disabled

Quick Review

This BIOS feature is used to enable or disable the motherboard's APIC (Advanced Programmable Interrupt Controller). The APIC provides multiprocessor support, more IRQs and faster interrupt handling.

However, it is only supported by newer operating systems like Microsoft Windows NT, Windows 2000 and Windows XP. Older operating systems like DOS or Windows 95/98 do not support this feature.

It is recommended that you enable this feature if you are using a newer operating system like Windows XP. Disable it only if you are using an older operating system like DOS or Windows 95/98.

4. davepicc

davepicc Private E-2

Hey ASUS-
    Thanks so much for the reply. I guess I would fall under "• Advanced Configuration and Power Interface (ACPI) PC
    Applies to a single processor motherboard with single processor. "- thanks for the HAL's. :) I'm running a Petium 4 3.0GHZ with HT Technology. So this install just finished and I'm still trying to figure out if it was done in Standard or ACPI with APIC enabled. I'm at the welcome to Microsoft Windows XP setup screen and I'm not sure if I should set it up or redo this whole install because their doesn't seem to be an option to restart the computer to check the BIOS. ??? Would APIC be enabled automatically and if so is ACPI the default? This is what the audio site says:

"• Install XP with the default option, an ACPI (Advanced Configuration and Power Interface) computer, unless advised otherwise by your audio hardware manufacturer.

• Install as a APIC computer to reduce or eliminate IRQ sharing."

Thanks for the help ASUS.

Dave

Dell Dimension 8300 Pentium 4 3.0GHZ w/HT Technology
    Win XP SP2
    2 GB RAM
    320 GB Western Digital Caviar 3200JD
    RME Fireface 800

5. ASUS

ASUS MajorGeek

To check which HAL your using, Open Device manager, click on Computer the one your using will be displayed.
    If it's not the one you desire, right click on the one displayed, choose update, Choose install from list or specific location, next, then select "Dont search I will choose the driver to install" then a list will be displayed select the one you want.
    If a list is not displayed or the option you want isnt there i think then you would have to reinstall the OS.
    When Installing windows to manually select the HAL, watch your screen when the prompt at the bottom of your screen displays "Press F6 for third party drivers" Press F5, you will be prompted to choose from a list.
    If youre also using SATA HDD's or Raid setup you can also Press F6 for your SATA/Raid drivers

As far as what your Bios is set to Default or otherwise you need to check it before installing windows, If not enabled you'll have to start over.

Have a look here:
    http://teamapproach.ca/trouble/ACPI.htm
    http://www.auditmypc.com/acronym/ACPI.asp

6. ASUS

ASUS MajorGeek

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds