clean uninstall of windows98 OS

Discussion in 'Software' started by texasharper, Jun 15, 2008.

1. texasharper

texasharper Corporal

How do I uninstall win98 on my old Dell Latitude CPt? I would like to reinstall with the software that came with the system.

There are many drivers that are missing and I thought perhaps that it would be easier to just reinstall the OS rather than find and install all those drivers. I have listed the drivers that are missing below:

Geusture.bmp---- Antimvxx.inf-----
    Ativrxx.inf----- layout.bin-----
    atixbar.imf----- bt829.imf-----
    setup.iss ----- datal.hdr------
    uninstall.iss ----- ti2drab.drv----
    setup.exe------ setup.ini-----
    os.dat------- lang.dat-----
    userl.hdr----- Ezlaunch.dll-----
    userl.cab ----- Ezcapt.exe-----
    ip.pop------ sys1.hdr----
    Elprop.dll ------ Apoint.exe-----
    Ezauto.dll------- Apoint.dll-----
    Apwheel.dll ------ Apwheel.exe-----
    idvkd.sys------ Apointkr.pop-----
    vgart.dat----- Apointcs.pop-----
    atigart.dat------ Apointct.pop-----
    atigart.exe------ Apointfr.pop-----
    ahaunab.bat------ Apointgr.pop-----
    atitvsnd.inF----- Apointsp.pop-----
    AH.Ativmvxx.ax ---- Apointus.pop------
    Ativmdxx.inF----- atigart.dat------
    Atitunep.inf-----

setup.lid------

setup.ins ------

Thank you for your help!!!!

Last edited: Jun 15, 2008
  2. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

You can't really uninstall your operating system unless you updated to it from a previous operating system, and even then, it's generally much more effective and much easier to just reformat and reload the OS, especially if there's nothing on the PC you want to save. However, from the files you listed, it looks like only a couple of drivers are missing: the video driver, and the touchpad or pointer driver (which usually isn't required, but it may be helpful, the touchpad should still work without it). All the files that start with 'ati' are ATI video driver files. If you install the video driver, all the those files will be taken care of, same with the 'ap' files and the touchpad driver. I'm not sure what the others are, but the 'ez' files may be related to hotkeys, or simply a launching application used to start up other programs, but I'm not sure....

Well, that's about all I have for you, I hope it helps!
    Good luck!

3. texasharper

texasharper Corporal

Ok...so how do I do that? I have these discs:

Drivers and Utilities
    System software
    Windows 98 OS

4. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

What's the exact model of the Dell? I like to look at Dell's site to see the manual and install information.

5. texasharper

texasharper Corporal

Hey Plodr,

It's a Latitude CPt. S500GT BIOS Version A05

THANKS ALOT

6. texasharper

texasharper Corporal

Thanks TxTazDad, I have access to the internet from my desktop, however how do I transfer the downloaded updates to my antiquated laptop? BTW, I love Kemah!

7. texasharper

texasharper Corporal

Sorry, dlb. I didn't acknowledge your reply. So, do I reformat or just use the drivers and utilities disc? If reformat, then, how? TIA

8. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

If you want to format the drive and completely erase everything on the PC, boot to the Windows 98 OS disc. At the first choice menu, you'll see "Boot from CD" and the other choice is "Boot from hard drive"; boot from the CD. The second menu will be "Start computer with CD support" and "...without CD support" and a third choice that doesn't matter. Start the PC with CD support. Let it load until you get to a DOS prompt. It will look like this F:> or close to it. The letter will be different probably. Now, type this X: and press Enter, where X is the letter of the drive where you have your Win98 disc. In the commands that follow, where-ever you see a star * is actually a space. Now type cd*win98 and press enter. Now type format*C:*/q and press Enter. This will perform a quick format. Agree to any warnings. You will also be asked something about a volume label; just press Enter. When the format is done, type setup.exe and press Enter. That will start the Windows 98 installation on your formatted empty drive :-D From there, you just follow the on screen prompts. If my description of events isn't exact, I apologize, I haven't worked on a Win98 PC in a long time, but I know the commands I provided are accurate. If you have trouble, post here and we'll do our best!

Good luck!

[dlb]
    :major

9. texasharper

texasharper Corporal

Thank you, dlb! I'll holla back if I encounter any diff. Thanks to all who took the time to respond!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds