Cleaning Out Hardrive

Discussion in 'Software' started by southdeco, Nov 12, 2004.

1. southdeco

southdeco Private E-2

Hi,

I'm leaving my job and would like to know what you recommend I do to clean out my computer of all my old things. I have Clean Cashe and Ad-Aware, but should I use anything else to really wipe out anything else?

THanks!

2. krazykrl

krazykrl Sergeant Major

Is there data you need to erase?
    Like files or just internet history?

3. Sgtmackenzie

Sgtmackenzie Private E-2

format C:\

Just kidding..

4. southdeco

southdeco Private E-2

I guess, internet history is the biggest one. Also cleaning out any passwords that may be on my computer when logging into other websites and such.

I don't know what else I should be erasing. If you were inheriting someone's computer what kinds of things might you come across that probably don't need to be there. Those are the kinds of things I'd like to erase.

Thanks.

5. Sgtmackenzie

Sgtmackenzie Private E-2

Other than cleaning the pc out by using Ad-Aware, Norton or McAfee, and a defrag, I would think the only items you would want to clear out would be personal documents and Internet history.

CCleaner is a great program that cleans out a lot of junk.
    You can get it here:
    http://www.majorgeeks.com/download4191.html

Regards!

6. southdeco

southdeco Private E-2

What's a "degrag"?

Thanks!

7. Sgtmackenzie

Sgtmackenzie Private E-2

Not a degrag, a Defrag. Defragmenting your hard drive will not clean it up, but it will clean up where files lay on the disc so that they can be accessed more quickly. Run the disk defragmentor included with any version of windows.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds