Cleaning up hard drive

Discussion in 'Software' started by curly4511, Aug 27, 2011.

1. curly4511

curly4511 Private E-2

How do i remove unwanted and old back ups from my hard drive?

2. Erlking

Erlking Private E-2

3. curly4511

curly4511 Private E-2

Thank you for your help. I really appreciate it. My problem is that I accidentally backed up my system to the hard drive and not the disc I wanted it on. I am using EaseUS to back up my drive and to create emergency boot discs. The back up ate up approximately 50 GB of space that I can't afford to be without. I have since backed up my hard drive to an external hard drive and want to remove the existing back ups from my system to clean up and speed up my computer.
    My computer is a Toshiba Satellite L505D-S5965 running Windows Vista SP2. It has a 225 GB hard drive, 3 USB ports, and a CD/DVD drive. I do know it has a Hitachi hard drive.
    I also run IOBit Advanced System Care Pro and Super AntiSpyware. I have a Norton System Suite provided by my internet provider that also does back ups. I used Norton to do a back up that also backed up to my hard drive that I can't get rid of. Norton won't let me remove it and I know it is only doing its job but I want to clean out all these back ups so I can start with a fresh back up and add to it as time goes on.
    Is there a way to identify these files and remove them without doing a complete reinstall? Any help would be greatly appreciated as I am a novice with just enough knowledge to be dangerous.

4. sach2

sach2 Major Geek Extraordinaire

Try running SpaceSniffer to find the location of your backups.

Just look for the big boxes. You can right-click the orange titles and choose open to see the folder in an Explorer window. What folders are the backups in and how much space do they take up? It should be fairly easy to delete the ToDo backups, I'm not sure about Norton.

5. curly4511

curly4511 Private E-2

Many thanks!! I will try this site and let you know how I make out.
    :)

6. bigbazza

bigbazza R.I.P. 14/12/2011 - Good Onya Geek

As long as you know the suffix that EaseUS uses for backups, why can't you just right click on the file/s and delete them? You may have to confirm that you want to delete the Backup/s.

If you know what Folder the backups are stored in, sort the Folder to descending File size. The biggest files SHOULD be your backup files. Just delete them?

Be careful though. All care, but no responsibility, for this suggestion as I don't use EaseUS. :-D

Bazza

7. curly4511

curly4511 Private E-2

Thank you for your advise. I guess my problem is that I don't know how to determine what suffix goes to what. As I said before, I know just enough to be dangerous. I am going about this very carefully. I haven't created a problem yet so it isn't critical that I remove these files. I just want to remove them safely and truly appreciate any help given by all of the members of this forum. But again, thanks for your help.

8. tgell

tgell Major Geek Extraordinaire

Hello,
    If you are using Easeus Todo backup 3.0 you should delete the backups from inside the program through the Backup Management section. If not, look for files with a PBD extension.

9. curly4511

curly4511 Private E-2

Thanks once again!! I knew if I was able to figure out how to say it someone would be able to help me! Again THANKS!!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds