Cleared Malware still freezing and running like a snail

Discussion in 'Software' started by Kalijess, Mar 17, 2010.

1. Kalijess

Kalijess Private E-2

Hi there

I've been through the malware forum and cleared the laptop of threats etc, but everything is still running real slow, and internet explorer is freezing all the time. I'm running windows vista on a Toshiba Tempro laptop, dual core celeron 32 bit os with 3gb ram. I've cleared everything I can think that maybe slowing it up such as windows messenger etc.....at my wits end now :cry

Any help most appreciated
    Nafeica

2. brandypeppy

brandypeppy MajorGeek

Clearing infections commonly results in system issues later. The infection as well as the medicine can be tough on a body.

From a command, type SFC /scannow
    Note the space before the /

From your cCleaner, goto the tools, then startup, and let us know what is there, either list or post a picture.

If you have a recovery partition or disk, you could also run a "repair", should not affect your data but I hope you have that all saved by now, anyway.

Many time I've cleared out malware just to save the data and then performed a reinstall. Hopefully you're not that bad off. :wave:wave

3. Kalijess

Kalijess Private E-2

here's the snaps let me know if you need anything else.

Thanks a mil
    Nafeica:)

Attached Files:

4. motc7

motc7 Vice Admiral (Starfleet)

Good Lord mister! You need to dial down some of those startup programs, especially onces that are in the program files folder. Not all, but most.

Also, when you ran through malware, were you ever advised to run ComboFix?

5. Kalijess

Kalijess Private E-2

errrr....total phobe.....how do I dial down the start up progs? :confused

6. Kalijess

Kalijess Private E-2

Oh, and did you use combofix, but is now uninstalled.........:)

7. Kalijess

Kalijess Private E-2

may have sussed out how to 'dial down'.....have disabled in CCleaner most of the prog files on the start up......

8. motc7

motc7 Vice Admiral (Starfleet)

Time to restart now.

9. brandypeppy

brandypeppy MajorGeek

Do NOT use cCleaner to manage your startup programs, this will cause you further problems.
    Use this;
    http://majorgeeks.com/Startup_Control_Panel_Standalone_Version_d4359.html
    So, renable everything first in cCleaner. Download the startup standalone, SSA, program, reboot into safe mode with networking, and note what items are running in in the SSA. This, along with your security, is ALL you need to run this 'puter. Now start disabling the other programs in SSA, all or a few at a time, your choice. I usually go all the way, leaving any programs that started in safe mode.
    Programs like adobe will still run when called. You shouldn't end up with more than 6 or 7 programs, mine is down to 3 and EVERYthing runs fine!:wave:wave

10. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

11. brandypeppy

brandypeppy MajorGeek

FYI:wave
    The standalone works in Vista, I've tried it, but the startupcpl does not, at least not on the Vista machines I've tried that on. But the first one does.

In any case, the OP needs to radically reduce these autoruns and it seems almost every month there is a new program being linked here to do so.

What I am not certain of is how many of these are actually using the MSConfig keys to do so, which creates another issue. I don't believe that either of these programs do. :wave:wave:wave

12. Kalijess

Kalijess Private E-2

Thanks for all help, I have used both now, and the startup is considerably quicker, but internet explorer is still hopelessly slow and crashes regularly.

:confused

13. brandypeppy

brandypeppy MajorGeek

Really best to use just one of the given tools to manage your autoruns.

What version of IE do you have? Also, what antivirus? If you go to start, accessories, system tools, click on Internet Explorer, no add-ons, does it run better and faster?:wave:wave

14. Kalijess

Kalijess Private E-2

Hi

I've just got the winpatrol installed now. Internet explorer version 8.0.6001.18882. I'm running the free version of AVG version 9. Not sure if I'm running the right things at start up, so I've attached a snapshot of the winpatrol statup programs.

Thank you :)

Attached Files:

15. brandypeppy

brandypeppy MajorGeek

Still can't see the details in the pic, but it looks like you are down to about 10 autoruns. With 3 GB RAM, I would think that is okay, though I like to be down to about 6 items.

So, how is the performance now? How's the IE? Did you try it with no add-ons? :wave:wave:wave

16. Kalijess

Kalijess Private E-2

Hi....no difference running with no add ons.....internet explorer still maddeningly slow and freezing.

:)

17. brandypeppy

brandypeppy MajorGeek

Did your puter come with IE8, or was that an upgrade you performed?

If you put it on there, it will be in your add/remove program list, and if you uninstall, it will revert back to IE7. It may have been corrupted from the malware removal.:wave:wave

18. Kalijess

Kalijess Private E-2

it came with ie8, funnily enough its not on my add remove program list
    :confused

19. brandypeppy

brandypeppy MajorGeek

Maybe you should try firefox or some other browser, just to narrow down the source of your problem. If a different browser works okay, then it would be safe to blame IE.
    Also, try booting into safe mode with networking, but set your home page to here to be safe. Then try a few pages here at MG.

20. Kalijess

Kalijess Private E-2

I've downloaded firefox, and its running like a dream.....the puter seems way happier.....how can I find ie8 to uninstall it?

God bless the geeks:drool

21. brandypeppy

brandypeppy MajorGeek

Problem is you are still going to need IE for your updates, though you could plan to do those once a week, like Wednesday morning. MS puts out the biggest updates normally once a month, on a Tuesday. Not certain, but I think it is the second Tuesday.

Anyway, your puter is running fast, your internet is good, but IE8 is apparently corrupt, doesn't even run good with no add-ons. And it is not in your uninstall list so it came with this.

Well, that takes care of about 90% of your issues. Did you ever try running the repair from a disk or recovery partition?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds